Question for those that have the Rear Media/Entertainment Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandsukka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am currently using a Crucial 500GB SSD to store about 40 ripped movies (using Handbrake). I used MetaX to add thumbnail art (doesn’t display correctly for some reason though). This drive is formatted NTFS and is connected to the USB-C connection in the armrest console so that my kids won’t break it (they absolutely would break it if it were protruding out the back). When it works, it works great.

The problem I have is that I have to physically disconnect and reconnect the drive almost every time we get in the car because the RSE doesn’t recognize it. So extremely frustrating. I may try reformatting to FAT32 to see if it works better. I may also try the rear USB-C ports but I’m nervous about my young kids kicking it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsenky

Reaction score
I am currently using a Crucial 500GB SSD to store about 40 ripped movies (using Handbrake). I used MetaX to add thumbnail art (doesn’t display correctly for some reason though). This drive is formatted NTFS and is connected to the USB-C connection in the armrest console so that my kids won’t break it (they absolutely would break it if it were protruding out the back). When it works, it works great.

The problem I have is that I have to physically disconnect and reconnect the drive almost every time we get in the car because the RSE doesn’t recognize it. So extremely frustrating. I may try reformatting to FAT32 to see if it works better. I may also try the rear USB-C ports but I’m nervous about my young kids kicking it.

that seems like a ton of work. Are you just using the movies for young kids to watch? You can likely hook up a dvd player to the rear consoles using hdmi cords and the power outlet. Or you can use a roku etc but that would be difficult to control from the front passenger seat.

Last edited:

sandsukka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, it’s for my young kids. Most of the hard work is done now that the movies are ripped. I thought about the DVD player idea but that sort of defeats the purpose of the RSE. Kinda janky in my opinion to have a DVD player connected to HDMI and power, sitting on the floor where it will get stepped on. From what I’ve read, unless the DVD Player can be powered from USB-C, it’s going to lose power every time the engine turns off at a traffic light because the 60 hz outlets get dropped when that happens.

It seems like a simple software fix would address the need to plug the USB drive back in for the system to recognize it. Mostly just curious if I’m alone in this issue or if others have experienced it.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just disable the electronic stop/start when using the RSE so the engine doesn’t shut off at stoplights?

Mike Crawley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We just ended up buying 2 Amazon Fire TV sticks (powered by the port). They connect perfectly to the vehicle LTE hotspot (we did the unlimited data through Onstar to keep from having to use our personal hotspots). We plug each one into the HDMI 1/2 and the kids can stream whatever they want via the Fire TV. All of our apps work perfect (youtube TV, Netflix, Disney +, HBO Max, etc.). Our kids are 7 and 5 and they both know how to navigate the Fire TV menu. Streaming 2 different movies or shows on both worked excellent during our 600 mile trip from NC to Disney last week. We have the included GM headsets but they both got Beats for xmas and they paired perfectly. They also used the nintendo switch in HDMI 1 and both played Mario Kart on the way down. 21 Tahoe Premier w RSE here.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just ended up buying 2 Amazon Fire TV sticks (powered by the port). They connect perfectly to the vehicle LTE hotspot (we did the unlimited data through Onstar to keep from having to use our personal hotspots). We plug each one into the HDMI 1/2 and the kids can stream whatever they want via the Fire TV. All of our apps work perfect (youtube TV, Netflix, Disney +, HBO Max, etc.). Our kids are 7 and 5 and they both know how to navigate the Fire TV menu. Streaming 2 different movies or shows on both worked excellent during our 600 mile trip from NC to Disney last week. We have the included GM headsets but they both got Beats for xmas and they paired perfectly. They also used the nintendo switch in HDMI 1 and both played Mario Kart on the way down. 21 Tahoe Premier w RSE here.

Premiers can have them RSE now?? The Chevy website still doesn’t show the RSE as an option when you build and price. How’d you get that package?

sandsukka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Just wanted to provide an update. After switching to an old Western Digital USB 3.0 HDD (formatted NTFS) I am no longer having this issue. For some reason the RSE system doesn’t behave well with the Crucial X8 SSD that I was using. The drive sits in the arm rest center console so it’s out of the way and out of sight. Now my kids have 40+ movies to watch and I don’t have to pay for Onstar data service.

mickeyfickymix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to provide an update. After switching to an old Western Digital USB 3.0 HDD (formatted NTFS) I am no longer having this issue. For some reason the RSE system doesn’t behave well with the Crucial X8 SSD that I was using. The drive sits in the arm rest center console so it’s out of the way and out of sight. Now my kids have 40+ movies to watch and I don’t have to pay for Onstar data service.

Are you still having an issue with the thumbnails? Thats the biggest problem for us with our kids at their current age...

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Awesome! And it’s all powered by usb-c?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasser Ali