Question for those that have the Rear Media/Entertainment Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandsukka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you still having an issue with the thumbnails? Thats the biggest problem for us with our kids at their current age...

The thumbnails look terrible. They look great on the computer. I’m not sure what the issue is. I may try playing around with the cover art size and dimensions.

Awesome! And it’s all powered by usb-c?

Yes, though I had to use a USB to USB-C adapter cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just spent 83k and a little on .
I get it, doesn’t support Apple devices without cords. The problem I have is my kids are 1 & 4. Right now I currently have a fire stick. I downloaded fire tv app for the remote purpose. I’m trying to avoid climbing in the back every time so I can select what to watch for my kids. The remote app isn’t bad from the front because you can hold the microphone down and say Frozen etc., then hit the enter button and it kinda works pretty good. I’ve been Apple guy since smart phones arrived. I actually am up for buying a used android device without data plan to sit in front charger area. Just to work the miracast from the front. The problem is I don’t know crap about android. What phone should I be looking for that would work?

ang2bmd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just spent 83k and a little on .
I get it, doesn’t support Apple devices without cords. The problem I have is my kids are 1 & 4. Right now I currently have a fire stick. I downloaded fire tv app for the remote purpose. I’m trying to avoid climbing in the back every time so I can select what to watch for my kids. The remote app isn’t bad from the front because you can hold the microphone down and say Frozen etc., then hit the enter button and it kinda works pretty good. I’ve been Apple guy since smart phones arrived. I actually am up for buying a used android device without data plan to sit in front charger area. Just to work the miracast from the front. The problem is I don’t know crap about android. What phone should I be looking for that would work?
My youngest daughter has a galaxy A10. Cheap low budget Android. It mirracasts just fine and runs Netflix, movies whatever. My older daughter uses a splitter for her i phone which ridiculous in such a high dollar vehicle. This infotainment was a good idea but not ready for prime time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Packitup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Google Pixel line and Apple phones are the ones with the issue, not the GMC rear media. It is easy enough to "turn on" miracast in either phone but the manufacturers of said phones don't and I'm not sure there is a way for the end consumer to do so. The reason is they have their own proprietary method in Chromecast (Google Pixels) and Airplay (Apple). I guess ideally, GMC could've integrated both into the rear media but that would require licensing of both Chromecast and Airplay.

Okie1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My youngest daughter has a galaxy A10. Cheap low budget Android. It mirracasts just fine and runs Netflix, movies whatever. My older daughter uses a splitter for her i phone which ridiculous in such a high dollar vehicle. This infotainment was a good idea but not ready for prime time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you for your replay. Too funny Samsung/bestbuy/dealership/Gmc couldn’t tell me that.

jms2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just making sure I will need two firesticks if backseat passengers want to watch different shows? Also, if I get the usb c to micro b adapter to make it all be in the back with limited cords, will the power go off when the on/off start or is that a problem only if I use a power outlet?

bigbadbuff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just making sure I will need two firesticks if backseat passengers want to watch different shows? Also, if I get the usb c to micro b adapter to make it all be in the back with limited cords, will the power go off when the on/off start or is that a problem only if I use a power outlet?

Yes you need 2 fire sticks to watch 2 different shows. And yes the auto start/stop is only an issue with the power outlet, not HDMI/USB-C.

The implementation of this entertainment system is just stunningly awful. I didn't want it at all but circumstances led to getting it anyway. Perhaps if you are an Android user it's not bad- for Apple users, as others have echoed in here, it's terrible. Here's what I have seen work and not work so far.

1) An old Blu-ray player did work.
2) Vehicle would not recognize an active HDMI input on a new-ish Samsung blu-ray player.
3) Auto-stop must be turned off every time to not impact the power outlet in the rear. Learned this the hard way halfway thru a 1 hour car ride.
4) Aside from locking/turning off/muting the rear screens, you cannot control the rear screens from the front. I understand disabling this while driving but not being able to do this while parked is maddening. Requires self-sufficient rear passengers or parents having to help often.
5) I bought 2 fire sticks and the port anglers/shorter usb cord as recommended on page 4 (thx for that to the poster). A couple things to know about this solution I haven't seen posted here:
- if you want to plug 2 fire sticks in side by side, it's a bit of a tight fit since the cord plugged into the mini-usb adapter on the left stick will be a little in the way of the right stick
- do not set the sticks up in the car. It takes an absolute eternity. This could be 4g hotspot coverage in my driveway but it was a good 30 mins to have the 2 sticks simply download and install the latest firmware.
- The IR headsets that come with the vehicle were terrible. As someone else said, the range appears to be extremely short- even sitting in the 2nd row, they cut in and out a lot.
- Since I have young kids I bought them kid-sized bluetooth headsets (the IR headsets were too big for their heads). Pairing them to the screens was very easy. First time 'out' with them, one headset cut in and out a lot, the other was fine. I paired the headset to my phone, listened for a couple mins- no issues.
6) When using the short USB cord and plugging into USB-C, I get a 'this adapter is not providing adequate power' message when the Fire stick is powering up. You CAN continue past that but it makes me wonder if the stick is not charging... if it's not, this is not a good solution for longer car rides and will require frequent taking the stick out of the car to charge. Not ideal at all.
7) No stereo jack anywhere in the rear is a little surprising- not that big a deal but this is next to nothing cost-wise for GMC and it's reliable.

My dad's 2017 Tahoe with a drop-down screen/discs go in the front CD tray was, though it felt beyond antiquated when I used it last year, was MUCH better from a practicality perspective. This 2021 implementation is just total frustration.

jms2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes you need 2 fire sticks to watch 2 different shows. And yes the auto start/stop is only an issue with the power outlet, not HDMI/USB-C.

The implementation of this entertainment system is just stunningly awful. I didn't want it at all but circumstances led to getting it anyway. Perhaps if you are an Android user it's not bad- for Apple users, as others have echoed in here, it's terrible. Here's what I have seen work and not work so far.

2) Vehicle would not recognize an active HDMI input on a new-ish Samsung blu-ray player.
3) Auto-stop must be turned off every time to not impact the power outlet in the rear. Learned this the hard way halfway thru a 1 hour car ride.
4) Aside from locking/turning off/muting the rear screens, you cannot control the rear screens from the front. I understand disabling this while driving but not being able to do this while parked is maddening. Requires self-sufficient rear passengers or parents having to help often.
5) I bought 2 fire sticks and the port anglers/shorter usb cord as recommended on page 4 (thx for that to the poster). A couple things to know about this solution I haven't seen posted here:
- if you want to plug 2 fire sticks in side by side, it's a bit of a tight fit since the cord plugged into the mini-usb adapter on the left stick will be a little in the way of the right stick
- do not set the sticks up in the car. It takes an absolute eternity. This could be 4g hotspot coverage in my driveway but it was a good 30 mins to have the 2 sticks simply download and install the latest firmware.
- The IR headsets that come with the vehicle were terrible. As someone else said, the range appears to be extremely short- even sitting in the 2nd row, they cut in and out a lot.
- Since I have young kids I bought them kid-sized bluetooth headsets (the IR headsets were too big for their heads). Pairing them to the screens was very easy. First time 'out' with them, one headset cut in and out a lot, the other was fine. I paired the headset to my phone, listened for a couple mins- no issues.
6) When using the short USB cord and plugging into USB-C, I get a 'this adapter is not providing adequate power' message when the Fire stick is powering up. You CAN continue past that but it makes me wonder if the stick is not charging... if it's not, this is not a good solution for longer car rides and will require frequent taking the stick out of the car to charge. Not ideal at all.
7) No stereo jack anywhere in the rear is a little surprising- not that big a deal but this is next to nothing cost-wise for GMC and it's reliable.

My dad's 2017 Tahoe with a drop-down screen/discs go in the front CD tray was, though it felt beyond antiquated when I used it last year, was MUCH better from a practicality perspective. This 2021 implementation is just total frustration.

Bigbadbuff,
Thank you so much for the information! This was extremely helpful!! I appreciate this!

RugbyRef

Reaction score

Moderators/Administrators - can we make what @bigbadbuff posted a sticky or put it in a DIY sections (if we have one)? Great info here!

Vannmccullar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chromecast works well for us. We use the usb-c port to charge it so that we don't have to remember to disable auto stop every time we get in the vehicle.

It would be nice to have any kind of preview in the front.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094