Question for those with Rear mirror camera and rear entertainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George100

Reaction score
As 2021 moves on, i will be looking to buy for the 2022 model year (hopefully) and i just wanted to ask those owners who have the rear camera rear view mirror , how it works at night does it dim down very well? Also with those with rear entertainment, how does the third row occupants like it and can they see it very well?

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear entertainment screens are awesome. We have a Roku currently hooked up with a remote. Our 9 & 7 year old have already completely figured out how to use it. The TVs are secured very well to the back of the seat, the kids love it. My husband and I sat back there watching some TV shows the other night and they have great clarity and color. The rear entertainment can also be controlled by the driver in the front infotainment center. I'm assuming the rear view mirror is different between the SLT and Denali. We have the SLT model, the rear view mirror dims great automatically at night along with the drivers side mirror. Our rear camera screen comes up on the infotainment center.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes rear view camera mirror dims and also has brightness control.

I would skip the RSE if I had to do it again, useless for those in the 3rd row and can't view on the front screen either. A few tablets would be a much better option.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t want the RSE either, but I wanted everything else that came with the ultimate package, and as hard as it is to find a vehicle configured how you want or things you can’t order... you sometimes have to take things you don’t want to get things you do want. They probably won’t get used much, but if they keep the grandkids quiet once in a while, we’ll take em....

like2detail

Reaction score
My 2021 has both the camera option and the RSE system, I LOVE both of them. The rearview camera is amazing. It's really nice not having to look through the rear passengers and the piled up cargo on longer trips. You will probably still try to look into the mirror to have a conversation with someone in the second row but they won't be there lol. Took me a bit to get used to. I never switch to the real glass mirror anymore now. It's great a night. The lights don't bother you at all since it's just a TV screen essentially. One really nice unexpected thing is being able to watch the load when I'm pulling my utility trailer. Could never see it before.

RSE is fantastic as well. My son brings an Xbox One and AppleTV on long trips. The built in Wi-Fi is powerful enough to stream whatever we want to on the AppleTV but not necessarily fast enough for online gaming. Last few hockey trips his teammates would ride along and play NHL21 on both screens. Picture quality is amazing. I think the rear navigation idea is pretty cool but I only ever use my Apple CarPlay so the factory navigation is worthless to me. It would be nice to see CarPlay work on the rear screens as well.

Good luck!

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I thought the rear view mirror as a internal mirror was junk. for the Premier it was only effective as rear view camera mode. That wasn’t a whole lot better. I wound up switching to a spring tension clip on panoramic internal rear view mirror……fortunately I remembered to transfer it over to the 2022 Z71.

There was one feature I did like about the last generation…..maybe longer. They had a fold down convex internal mirror From the OH console. Soccer Mom mirror, nanny cam whatever you want to call it. It was not a camera but still allowed driver to monitor cabin, 2nd row at least. For me it was the “Scout Cam”. Since the Z71 doesn’t have the rear view camera mirror option I applied the clip on panoramic view. I can see 2nd row window-window and entire lift gate frame to frame.