Question for tech2 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not used Wi-Fi, so I can't say for sure whether on not it would be successful. In theory, it should be OK, as long as Techline Connect 'sees' the connection as an acceptable connection. Sometimes protocols going between wired and Wi-Fi and back again can cause issues for certain applications not originally meant for Wi-Fi.

A 100' length of cat 5 or 6 will work, and also a 100' length of quality USB cable will work (this is what I used, since I had the 100' USB cable extension on hand at the house from another project).

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have commercial wi-fi equipment in our house that extends the signal to the driveway just fine, but I still had trouble with getting the Tech2 to work reliably (kept getting errors during the programming phase and I was afraid of bricking my BCM), so I used a long ethernet cable that I had on hand for another purpose to make a hard-wired connection and it worked fine.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a question again I downloaded all the new computer software to do this programming. And tps2 won't find my tech 2 have it connected to the internet port with a usb adapter. Only thing it shows I can use is the newer dealer devices. Any help?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So I have a question again I downloaded all the new computer software to do this programming. And tps2 won't find my tech 2 have it connected to the internet port with a usb adapter. Only thing it shows I can use is the newer dealer devices. Any help?
My guess is the port is not assigned or selected correctly.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you have to use the rs232 plug because I just went with a rj45 plug and it hasn't been reading it, and is it the bottom or the top port?

Attachments

• 20220227_135927.jpg
    20220227_135927.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bottom, larger (RJ45) jack. You should have a flat ribbon cable that has the RJ45 connectors (8 conductors) on both ends; you can substitute a Cat5e cable. That connects to the Tech 2 on one end and the gray adapter that connects to the DB9 of your USB-Serial adapter.

Cables.jpg

I have not dealt with programming through the web, but I'm sure that your GM online software needs to know which serial port your USB-Serial adapter is using.

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Erg well I'm at my end with this stupid thing I bought a rs232 port to usb hoping to god this stupid thing will find it if not I have no idea hoping dealership at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts