Purpose of a Shift Kit in a Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kubs

Reaction score
I know most hot rodders install shift kits for firm quick shifts at WOT in CARS, but what would the purpose of one be in a truck? I am in the middle of changing out converters in my 3/4 ton Yukon and see a lot of threads talking about adding a shift kit being a good mod. What is the advantage in a truck? Is it just for the sporty feel, or does it help when towing or going off road in some way? My truck is primarily used to tow my race car. Just wondering if it would be a good idea to add one while transmission is out.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers make automatic transmissions shift nice and smooth for comfort and in doing so it slips the clutches to ease it into the next gear. This creates heat and also wears things out quicker so a shift kit also prolongs the life of your transmission.

I would think that when you`re towing it`s even more benificial due to trans pulling the extra weight.

OP
OP
Kubs

Kubs

Reaction score
Doesn't the tow/haul mode stiffen the shifts too? You bring up a good point, but I would hate to feel it shift ******* days Im not towing. I would still like it to ride pretty comfortable.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i became disalusioned with my tow haul mode i was told it shifts at a higher rpm but i have never noticed this the only thing i notice is it doest shift into over drive
if you want smooth shifts then dont install a shift kit anyone else that rides with you or anyone else that dirve the vehicle is going to complain or wine
if your just towning a car on a trailer with a 3/4 ton yukon dont bother with a shift kit
the ride comfort goes down the tubes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapperdadman