Purchase or Lease?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably not the best vehicle for the average Joe. If you're not making at least 6 figures with little to no debt then you probably want to consider a cheaper vehicle or going the used route. Can still get very nice vehicles that way. If you can wait a year or two you'll be able to find low mileage 2015s for considerably cheaper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My wife and I rented a Tahoe while in Las Vegas and after a couple of days we both looked at each other why don't we get rid of the 2011 Slilverado LTZ and get one of these? We picked up a 2013 rental return with 19K miles for a lot less than a new one. Still under warranty and with the Luxury package. Looked and new ones and they were almost 18k more... Buy used if you can!

stephygee

Just Steph
Reaction score
Buy. I've never understood why people lease. If you're into driving the newest thing every 1 or two years, then go for it (lease). Otherwise, buy and own what you can afford. Take care of the vehicle and it should last you long enough.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't lease it.. You are essentially renting a vehicle that you cant even drive as much as you want or else you have to pay penalty fees.
To me, being a vehicle enthusiast, I want to actually own my vehicles. Not have some dealer or bank tell me what I can and cant do with it.

Buy it brand new if you have the money to take the hit on the value depreciation. If you don't have the money to take that hit.. stick to buying used vehicles. Let someone else that can afford the depreciation take that hit for you. Then come along and scoop it up from them when they move on to the next bigger and better. :)

I don't have anywhere near the money for a new vehicle. So I stick with old ones that I just fix. Thus the reason I bought a 95 and put a new motor in it. hah. :D Costs much less than a new one.

robdeniro0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leasing works well in certain instances such as if you are a business owner and use the vehicle for said business, you can virtually write the whole thing off gas included and almost ride for free. Also you can lightly mod a leased vehicle just have to put it back to stock at lease end. I have leased but mostly bought my vehicles, if you only have one vehicle in your stable maybe you ought to buy because they will nickle and dime you for mileage overages and cosmetic damages. Leasing is essentially renting but if your money allows for such an extravagance go for it, we are all renters at one time or another.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Not I cough cough I only buy used:) that and the fact I stick with the past hate anything that costs big dollars to fix.. rather build something that will put perform and be more luxurious

lt1gmc

Reaction score
A couple of things not often thought about when debating lease vrs buy:
If you lease with a few extra miles, you may have to replace tires (not cheap) as they have to be 4/32" or better tread, and the most IMPORTANT FACT:
If you lease, you HAVE to make a decision at the end time, you have to buy it, or buy something else. If you bought, you can choose to do nothing, sticker shock gets to you , do not have to buy!
That is one big reasons car companies push the lease, you are forced to do something at the end, and they have the upper hand.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat true. You have the ability to negotiate the residual value (what it will be worth after the lease is up). This way you won't be caught with any surprises. Did this for my fiancé on a '14 Benz. She doesn't drive a ton and saving well over 50% per month off of buying plus she can get a new one in 27 month if we so choose. All you finance is the difference in negotiated sell price and residual value (with a few % here and there). Each company does there own thing and MB happens to leave it up to you. I can simply walk after the 27 months if I choose to. I also could've essentially paid the $15k I negotiated and not had a car payment for 27 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT FACT:
If you lease, you HAVE to make a decision at the end time, you have to buy it, or buy something else.

Is this something new in leasing? I've leased several cars in the past and have been able to walk away without any issue (the value always matched or exceeded the residual). It has been a few years, so anything is possible.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on average car payments vs. investing those payments, you can retire 5 years sooner if you buy a new car every 10 years or a used car every 5 years, compared to someone who buys a new car every 4-5 years.
I lease because I like to have new cars every 3 years and am self employed so I write off most of the mileage.

HD4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't OWN it when you purchase and make payments the bank does. You own it when you pay cash and have title. Only way I buy vehicles and boats.