Pulley, Lifter, AC Compressor Clutch Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having issue with the noise in the car. There is noise when at idle, when i speed up you cannot hear it as much because of ac and engine.

I have changed the serpentine belt and pulley. Still noise.

Took to mechanic, he couldn't figure it out. He changed out the oil and sprayed the belt with the liquid wrench. Still Noise.

Attached is the file.

Any help is appreciated.

Here is the link to the video with the noise:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k6eRVxOOIkMFCF_wy1M0zNWy_EjpREx4/view?usp=sharing

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like a collapsed lifter to me. What model, year, engine and mileage are we talking about here? I would pull both belts off and start it up just to rule out a pulley or anything driven by the belts first. Spin all the pulleys by hand to see if any are problematic, then start it up without belts on for a few seconds to see if the noise is still there. Does this engine have DOD?

OP
OP
F

Frank2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rocket man, Chevy Tahoe 2007, 182K miles. I do not know how to check whether it is DOD or not.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to do it again. One of the mechanics says its a crankshaft. I don't here the grinding noise though.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Rocket Man. That sounds like you have a lifter that is either collapsed or has a locked up roller. Had the same sound in my ‘07 when the roller on my #5 intake lifter locked up and scrubbed the cam.

Your Tahoe most likely has AFM/DOD.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for the previous posts. It could be a spun crank or cam bearing, but really sounds like a scrubbing lifter. Either it turned or the roller has seized. After doing what Rocket Man suggested with removing the accessory belts, invest $4 in a mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight to determine which side and open 'er up. Chances are that you need a new cam and lifter(s). If it's a crank bearing, you may as well rebuild or replace the engine. With either failure, there's metal coursing through the oil system that will be in the bearings. But it may not be bad if you have a quality oil filter. You won't know until you have the cam out and can look at the bearings. At the cheapest, you may be able to swap the cam and lifters (I highly suggest AFM delete) and continue on your way for a really long time. Or, find a known good engine and just swap it in. It depends on how much you wanna invest in it. The sure thing is that it will only get worse until catastrophic damage occurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro