Powered Tail Gate failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi,

My powered tail gate door does not work, when I press the button on the remote the motor does kick in but it does not raise the door so I have to open it manually.

When opening it manually I need to pause once it has opened a little bit and then it clunks and I can then open it the rest of the way, I am not sure if that helps the diagnosis.

I assume it needs some replacements parts and I wonder if the fix is doable by an amateur like me?

Thanks

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My powered tail gate door does not work, when I press the button on the remote the motor does kick in but it does not raise the door so I have to open it manually.

When opening it manually I need to pause once it has opened a little bit and then it clunks and I can then open it the rest of the way, I am not sure if that helps the diagnosis.

I assume it needs some replacements parts and I wonder if the fix is doable by an amateur like me?

Thanks

Replace the other lift struts and see what happens.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks

You may have a broken gear in your liftgate motor. Here is a link to a post discussing this issue.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/back-lift-gate-motor-not-working.114943/#post-1383401

OP
OP
2007 Denali XL
Reaction score
Take a peek through the lift arm opening and make sure it is still attached to the motor output.
Yep, its all attached.

I can open manually by pressing the opener on the tailgate. I have to wait for the door catch to open and then I can lift it open a small amount, I then have to wait for a clunk sound and then I can open the rest of the way.

It seems like the motor is not operating at all.

I will take a video of the opening process and post here

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think its the struts as the motor is not even trying to lift the tailgate.
Here is a post with a video on the topic

It could be a couple of things.

Your first post stated that you can hear the motor running but no action so that eliminates the possibility that your liftgate switch is turned off and it indicates that you are getting power to your motor, or so one would assume if you're hearing it.

The linkage could have come loose which you can try and check by grabbing the lift rod and seeing how much play you have.

I believe there is a clutch on the motor and those sometimes fail.
There are also a gear train that can strip out and if your gas springs failed, it could have overloaded the gear drive and stripped a gear.
View attachment 232668

Here is a video that discusses how to get to the motor. There is a couple things the guy covers at first but around 2:45 he gets into the lift motor.

View attachment 232667

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2