Power/staring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this truck has got me scratching my head. Drove it for a week n a half with no problems. Parked the truck overnight in the driveway and now it has a hard time starting.

It has the factory remote start. I hit the start button in recognizes the signal. It does a hard click then nothing. The DIC shows service stabilitrak & check engine light comes on.

I opened the door, put the key in the ignition and tried it normally, it clicks hard then starts to turn over but slowly. It then runs fine. However the alarm chirps when I open the door!

After running/idling the truck for a bit it starts fine.

Things I thought it was, the interior dome switch, pulled the fuse still does the above.

I wired in correctly the 2 power outlets in the center stack. Do yours stay powered up after you key off?

Thoughts to me are :

Remote start is messed up/fobs got 4 of them with the truck.

Battery low but not dead yet.

Starter.. don’t think so cause it starts up after idling fine.

Suggestions comments please.

Paul

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for starters regarding the fob & auto start, the autostart function is disabled anytime there is a problem code/check engine light etc. It is a safety feature so you don't inadvertently ruin the engine if there was a more serious problem it does not differentiate and just wont work until all issues are resolved, you may find that you wont have any cruise control either for the same reasons..

2nd your starting problem does sound like a weak battery i would have it tested many places will do it for free
3rd if it is not the battery then check and clean your battery cables, power cable & ground strap, also clean up the megafuse on the power cable.

stabiltrac issue/check engine light you will want to scan or have it scanned to see what the error code is and go from there.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Checked all the battery terminals. They are clean/tight and not full of crap. I’ll go thru and check the huge honking ground strap again but it looked and felt like it was tight.

I’ll pull the battery out and have it load tested.

The truck has 105,*** miles on it.

Mega fuse? There are 3-4 large fuses running from the battery and into the truck.

Lastly KISS? I’m lost

Thanks
Paul

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people say Keep It Simple Stupid KISS. He’s saying start with the easy stuff not saying you’re stupid like me.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery. The voltage is dropping to the point the sensors aren't reading right, hence the lights coming on on the dash. After running a bit, you have a bit of a charge on the battery, so things start more-normally.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KISS damn I’m loosing it. Should of guessed that! Kinda like ID10T. Yup it looks to be the battery. After giving it a full charge, disconnected the battery entirely from the truck. Let it sit overnight. I connected it this morning, nada zip zilch. Time for a new one.

This issue had me worried, thinking that there’s an issue with the electrical system in the truck. I’ll KISS more from now on.

Now.... leveling kit for the front or lower the butt down..

Thank all for the help and suggestions.

Paul