Potential Lifter Issue Post Factory “Fix”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir. I’m arguing that the DFM *system* is complex and accordingly more vulnerable to manufacturing defects, demands more from the collapsible lifters than the previous AFM system due to how frequently it engages and disengages, and that it’s proving problematic enough as a system for enough people, to be a valid reason for me to avoid buying a DFM equipped truck until they sort it out. And that people are justified in being upset about it and in feeling unable to trust their vehicles.
Its because these forums have people running around in circles screaming about an issue that has a low failure rate so people get worried.

If it was a problem there would be a recall for it. Simple as that.

Until then people that don't have these trucks keep saying it's an issue. And the circle continues. Hopefully people can read between the lines.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recalls are usually a forced issue (Safety). TSB, which is out on these vehicles, says there are problems in valve train.
Recalls and TSBs are to different issues.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recalls are usually a forced issue (Safety). TSB, which is out on these vehicles, says there are problems in valve train.
Recalls and TSBs are to different issues.
A lifter problem can be a safety issue especially if it happens while your running down the road. It has to happen to a greater extent in order for there to be a recall. These lifters don't fail like you guys want people to believe hence no recall.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lifter problem can be a safety issue especially if it happens while your running down the road. It has to happen to a greater extent in order for there to be a recall. These lifters don't fail like you guys want people to believe hence no recall.
I haven't read where anyone has been injured or hurt with the issue being discussed in this thread just in their wallets!

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read where anyone has been injured or hurt with the issue been discussed in this thread just in their wallets!
Financially? Inconvenience? This isn't a quick fix, there was another guy posting how he was without his $70,000+ truck for 5, 6 months? That's not acceptable even if he didn't lose a limb. His truck depreciated and he DIDN'T get to use it, what a joke.

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The saga continues…

I had the car towed in on the 26th and confirmed the issue was a collapse lifter on number 4. Fairly straight forward process at the dealership and it was returned today with all 16 lifters replaced.

The problem is that the tow truck GM roadside sent ripped the fame. The tow driver winched the truck on the flatbed, hooked up rear hooks and then re-tightened the winch, resulting in both sides of the frame ripping. One body shop said the entire frame needs to be replaced with another saying a patch would do as they were not concerned about structural integrity. Couple this with GM roadside not actually being run by GM so the dealership is throwing up their hands saying not their problem and to take it up with the roadside carrier. It should be a fun new year getting this sorted out!

They said, any current or former bodyshop workers that has any idea of what the proper repair is?

Attachments

• FBC67EDD-30C9-4D64-AA4B-1551354B47A3.jpeg
    FBC67EDD-30C9-4D64-AA4B-1551354B47A3.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 8
  • AA6817AE-7C7E-45D0-B22C-020CAE85BC73.jpeg
    AA6817AE-7C7E-45D0-B22C-020CAE85BC73.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 5BE55388-BBC2-443A-AF46-A3A0AB129535.jpeg
    5BE55388-BBC2-443A-AF46-A3A0AB129535.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 8
  • D3B00234-911D-4C5D-9AA0-92653C2C858D.jpeg
    D3B00234-911D-4C5D-9AA0-92653C2C858D.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 9
  • C88A0D4F-A7AD-4C54-BC01-DA00275D84AF.jpeg
    C88A0D4F-A7AD-4C54-BC01-DA00275D84AF.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 9

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saga continues…

I had the car towed in on the 26th and confirmed the issue was a collapse lifter on number 4. Fairly straight forward process at the dealership and it was returned today with all 16 lifters replaced.

The problem is that the tow truck GM roadside sent ripped the fame. The tow driver winched the truck on the flatbed, hooked up rear hooks and then re-tightened the winch, resulting in both sides of the frame ripping. One body shop said the entire frame needs to be replaced with another saying a patch would do as they were not concerned about structural integrity. Couple this with GM roadside not actually being run by GM so the dealership is throwing up their hands saying not their problem and to take it up with the roadside carrier. It should be a fun new year getting this sorted out!

They said, any current or former bodyshop workers that has any idea of what the proper repair is?
You called dealer about problem and dealer sent the flatbed to pick up for them to repair. This is their problem and looks to me it's time for a buy back from GM that is not acceptable. Dealer picked company to retrieve vehicle you don't have anything involved in pickup service this is there fight you need them to buy back vehicle that's crazy makes me sick can't imagine how you feel.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You called dealer about problem and dealer sent the flatbed to pick up for them to repair. This is their problem and looks to me it's time for a buy back from GM that is not acceptable. Dealer picked company to retrieve vehicle you don't have anything involved in pickup service this is there fight you need them to buy back vehicle that's crazy makes me sick can't imagine how you feel.
Take a deep breath and relax. This would go on the tow truck company's insurance. Not everything is the dealer's fault. Lmao.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The saga continues…

Sorry about the bad luck. The tow truck company is responsible. Their insurance should handle it. A frame swap would be ideal as a patch would negatively affect resale value. I don't think structural damage was done but regardless needs to be made to how it was not what they can do.

Just tell them it was oem new when they took it and thats what you expect. No different then if you got in an accident.

Good luck. Sorry about the bad luck.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a deep breath and relax. This would go on the tow truck company's insurance. Not everything is the dealer's fault. Lmao.
Exactly dealer will have to deal with tow truck company they pay the bill not OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk