Anyone have experience with Endurance? Failed Lifter coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djgz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe that I just took in due to a check engine light and noise from the engine. I have an Endurance warranty. I had to authorize the service shop to diagnose the car and then they had to pull off the valve body?

They found the car was at 6.5 quarts of oil even which was a shock since I had just gotten it change 2 months ago and also checked it less than 100 miles ago and was reading towards the top.

Endurance comes out and says they are denying my warranty because of lack of maintaining proper fluids but the service place said that should not have caused this problem and more likely whatever just happened in the engine caused the oil to go low.

The shop reported “Misfires logged in at cylinder 4 in mode 06. There is a rhythmic knocking noise from the cylinder 4 area which matches the sound of a failed lifter. ” which seems in line with what many people have had happen.

I had the shop talk to Endurance again and now they say I need to authorize an engine tear down to confirm true cause of issue. This of course seems ridiculous since this is a known problem.

Anyone know what a reasonable number of hours it is to actually diagnose the true cause and not be low engine oil since I simply reject them saying I did not maintain proper fluids.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1016.jpeg
    IMG_1016.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 11

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Endurance comes out and says they are denying my warranty because of lack of maintaining proper fluids ...
... had the shop talk to Endurance again, and now they say I need to authorize an engine tear down to confirm true cause of issue. This of course seems ridiculous since this is a known problem.
I fell for this bullschidt in the early 2000s.
Think of it as medical insurance, but for your car.
As in, the insurance company makes money by DENYING big payouts for big stuff they said was covered when you first bought the policy.
They will play dumb about this well-known problem because it literally profits them to do so.

I'll never buy mechanical insurance for any vehicle ever again.

There isn't a Tech Service Bulletin about this specific type of lifter failure? That should - in theory - be evidence in your favor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This merry-go-round happens many times a day all across the country. I dealt with it as a service manager in independent shops. When asked, I never ever recommended buying extended service/warranty contracts. My feelings about this is well documented all over this forum. Especially aftermarket warranty companies like this one. They get enough heat from a state they are in, they close down business and open up in another state under another name. They are in the business of keeping money, not spending it and will look for anything to deny a claim. Many vehicle owners swear by them. I do not.

Hell, if I buy a wrench from a seller on ebay, Allstate wants me to buy a $9.95 coverage insurance. If you buy a vehicle, you should have money in a fund that is added to every week and not touched for anything else but maintenance and repairs. IMO, you will be money ahead.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These "extended warranties / insurance policies" are scams people get screwed by every day. The only policies to buy are from the vehicle manufacturers for that vehicle period. There is no such thing as an extended warranty that you pay for, only insurance policies. A warranty is free with the purchase.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Telling people not to buy extended warranties used to be good advice but you can’t be without one on these 2015+ trucks unless you are very skilled in DIY or make a lot of money to pay out the nose for repairs. All four mag ride shocks? $4k. Cam and lifters? $8k. Engine? $15k. Transmission? $8k. Any module? Starts at $1k and has to be programmed. Power assist step motors? $1k. These trucks will eat you out of house and home worse than a hungry teenager. I work on these for a living and I don’t think I’d own one without the extended warranty (but I’m really hoping my 2008 lasts forever).

The advice is to buy a GOOD extended warranty. Endurance sucks. The best is Fidelity AKA JM&A followed by Ally or GMPP/GMEPP. Mopar is good the few times I dealt with them. Carmax is generally good although they try and claim you can only take it Carmax for the work. Carvana is usually good as well but I don’t know that is trust them to still be in business to honor it.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best warranty is the one that your local dealer or repair facility TELLS you that it is the best one. They have the history and knowledge of what will be covered and what won't. I thoroughly vetted my plan against the components I thought would fail and didn't buy until the service manager said "This plan will cover those items...and we will honor it"

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I should have mentioned what has been said. If you HAVE TO HAVE one of these extended warranties, get it from the manufacturer. The dealers will actually press you to buy an aftermarket contract, because they make more money that way.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all else fails cancel the warranty, get a refund, then purchase a GMEPP warranty and get your vehicle fixed. There are GM Dealers that will sell the warranty for a discounted price. Good luck.
Do tell. Good info, I always thought you had to purchase the GM extended warranties while it was still covered under the original warranty.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do tell. Good info, I always thought you had to purchase the GM extended warranties while it was still covered under the original warranty.
That is another come on crap idea. Buying an extended warranty on top of a bumper to bumper? WHY! Buying used and has conditional warranty from the lot? Ok, if you have to have that extended warranty, get it then but again, buy from the manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20