Potential Lifter Issue Post Factory “Fix”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Merry Christmas All! My wife and I were driving home this evening and at a red light the car started shuttering terribly. When the light turned green it felt fine. Shortly after the shutter started back, an intermittent knocking sound started, the Service ESC light came on and engine light was flashing.

Outside of the ESC and traction light, my first guess would have be the lifter problem. The car was built in Oct of 2021 as a 2022 model, which we waited for hoping to not have lifter problems. What does this sound like to you all?

If a lifter problem, I am hoping to have all 8 changed, but is there anything else I should be aware of or ask for?

Ben

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB out regarding. There are 16 lifters. You would want all changed as not to have to revisit this again. The claim is that it is a defective, substandard batch of lifters. So you have 16 of them and only one went. There is also a lawsuit alleging it is design as well?? Either way get them all replaced while under warranty.

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks you, I plan on making them change the oil as well, should I also have them do an oil analysis to make sure there are not metal shavings from the lifters.

At this point GM can’t blame this on their suppliers, it is clearly a design issue

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks you, I plan on making them change the oil as well, should I also have them do an oil analysis to make sure there are not metal shavings from the lifters.

At this point GM can’t blame this on their suppliers, it is clearly a design issue
These engines have been out for a long long time. Not every single one has lifter issues. Most don't. Its probably less then 1% that do. You also don't know if you actually have the issue yet since it has not been properly diagnosed.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GM seems to think differently. Most dont have the problem presently. But they will.

The fix: dealership technicians are instructed to replace both banks of cylinders in affected vehicles. These repairs must be performed upon arrival at the dealership and before the vehicles are sold to customers.

The instructions were for dealers to change out lifters on trucks sitting on dealer lots...not wait for it to happen. Once sold, when it happens, this is the fix. change 16 of them.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GM seems to think differently. Most dont have the problem presently. But they will.

The fix: dealership technicians are instructed to replace both banks of cylinders in affected vehicles. These repairs must be performed upon arrival at the dealership and before the vehicles are sold to customers.

The instructions were for dealers to change out lifters on trucks sitting on dealer lots...not wait for it to happen. Once sold, when it happens, this is the fix. change 16 of them.
You have to read the article. Its not every single one that's affected. If it were you could argue a design problem. But these engines have been made longer then just 2021 and are still being made.

It's the supplied lifters that have a spring problem. A certain batch.

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These engines have been out for a long long time. Not every single one has lifter issues. Most don't. Its probably less then 1% that do. You also don't know if you actually have the issue yet since it has not been properly diagnosed.
I don’t disagree with you, but anything even close to 1% is a design failure in the automotive world

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have to read the article. Its not every single one that's affected. If it were you could argue a design problem. But these engines have been made longer then just 2021 and are still being made.

It's the supplied lifters that have a spring problem. A certain batch.
I specifically waited for the supply problem to clear up, and am an anecdotal example of something still wrong

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I specifically waited for the supply problem to clear up, and am an anecdotal example of something still wrong
Yes but as you saw in the bulletin they dont know exactly how many vehicles was affected. If they don't keep track of the lifter batches it will be impossible to pinpoint. You do not know how long that window is.

The item is not failing because it is an improper design. The lifter fails because it was manufactured incorrectly.

Regardless go get it diagnosed. You have no idea what the issue is currently. There have been a string of fuel injector issues lately.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel injector. Check the oil, hopefully it didn’t wash a cylinder wall down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972