Post SSBC Brake Upgrade - Few Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
So... I went the route of installing SSBC three piston calipers and 14in slotted rotors on the front and rear of my LTZ Suburban with stainless lines on the front. Install was a breeze so now for my concerns...

The overall feel of the braking system is not as good as the stock setup was. The pedal feels softer and it seems like more pedal travel is required to achieve the same result. Also, there is a shudder under normal stopping/slowing conditions. I bedded the brakes properly, etc. but something just doesn't feel right given this upgrade. I've done big brake kit upgrades on many vehicles and never had this result. I'm trying to figure out what to do to trouble-shoot now and clearly calling SSBC to discuss was a waste of time. The tech rep. I talked to was a complete ass to me. He interrupted me and said that I should not have bedded the brakes but rather drove easy on them for 200 miles or so (contrary to my belief as well as their install manual as well).

Anyhow, enough with my ranting. What do you guys think?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I went the route of installing SSBC three piston calipers and 14in slotted rotors on the front and rear of my LTZ Suburban with stainless lines on the front. Install was a breeze so now for my concerns...

The overall feel of the braking system is not as good as the stock setup was. The pedal feels softer and it seems like more pedal travel is required to achieve the same result. Also, there is a shudder under normal stopping/slowing conditions. I bedded the brakes properly, etc. but something just doesn't feel right given this upgrade. I've done big brake kit upgrades on many vehicles and never had this result. I'm trying to figure out what to do to trouble-shoot now and clearly calling SSBC to discuss was a waste of time. The tech rep. I talked to was a complete ass to me. He interrupted me and said that I should not have bedded the brakes but rather drove easy on them for 200 miles or so (contrary to my belief as well as their install manual as well).

Anyhow, enough with my ranting. What do you guys think?

I saw three piston and stopped there. If you have an increase in necessary push on the brake pedal, you might want to change calipers to 4 or 6 piston

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I saw three piston and stopped there. If you have an increase in necessary push on the brake pedal, you might want to change calipers to 4 or 6 piston

Not sure I understand. The stock setup is two piston in front and one in rear. The SSBC kit is three in front and three in rear. That combined with SS lines and larger rotor should produce a better feel. Can you elaborate a bit since I already technically upgraded the number of pistons per caliper?

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Have you tried re bleeding the brakes?

That's the next on my list. I am going to flush it again since I have some ATE Super Blue that needs to get used. I think the pads that come with the SSBC kits may be crap as well. I'm going to keep trouble shooting and if I have to swap in some Hawk performance or EBC pads and see what diff. that makes.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped to the same setup about three yrs ago, but only in the front since my truck came stock with 2 pistons in the rear. HUGE improvement over the stock setup. I had a soft squishy pedal at first. Had to re-bleed 3x. I finally flushed the entire system and the brakes have been very impressive since. As a matter of fact, the other day I had an old friend stop by and gave him a ride in truck for the first time. He was very impressed with the truck's stopping power.
Sounds like you may still have some air trapped in the system somewhere.

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I swapped to the same setup about three yrs ago, but only in the front since my truck came stock with 2 pistons in the rear. HUGE improvement over the stock setup. I had a soft squishy pedal at first. Had to re-bleed 3x. I finally flushed the entire system and the brakes have been very impressive since. As a matter of fact, the other day I had an old friend stop by and gave him a ride in truck for the first time. He was very impressed with the truck's stopping power.

That's encouraging. I'm hoping these get better. Bleeding tomorrow as a start.

allando

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bleeding should have been the first thing you did after install. You gotta think there wasn't any brake fluid in the lines/ calipers before you installed it.

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Bleeding should have been the first thing you did after install. You gotta think there wasn't any brake fluid in the lines/ calipers before you installed it.

They already have been bled once. I'll be doing it again tomorrow is what I meant. :Big Laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia