Possibly looking for a new HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arkle

Reaction score
Probably has been answered before, but because my grandfather has had to put a new HU in his Silverado, I figure I should ask if there are any single dins that don't have a bunch of flahy lights on them? What I mean is like while I'm driving there won't be a bunch of garbage scrolling across the screen of it and won't be flashing a hundred different colours.

Or perhaps there is an option that lets me keep my HU, since I like the OE one. I mostly just want some new speakers so I can have some kick and some more clarity and just sound nice overall. But my CD player doesn't work and I don't want to have to replace the whole thing.

Sorry, I'm a total noob to car audio.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
stock unit is a 1.5 din standard. there are a few to choose from and even 1 din units can be loaded with stuff even more with add on modules. cant really add on to stock unit so replacement would be ideal if you want cd's again. there are a few ways to add amps and speakers to existing unit to give it some better sound. my hu is a single din with a 6"+ monitor and has all kinds of features built in. I added the nav, sat and bluetooth modules. installed 2010.

OP
OP
The Arkle

The Arkle

Reaction score

You say you can add on with modules. I know I might be difficult for asking, but could you just buy a new CD module? Since it sounds like it'd be harder to get a new tape module for a newer HU (yes I still listen to tapes haha)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well if your cd unit was a separate piece in the stock install yes. just have to find a working one. but you can not buy an aftermarket cd module so to speak and add it to your existing hu. maybe hit up ebay or junk yards.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

if you can deal with just strictly cassette function then. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130KEHP203/Pioneer-KEH-P2030.html?tp=5684.
has changer controls but don't know the model number of it.

OP
OP
The Arkle

The Arkle

Reaction score
well if your cd unit was a separate piece in the stock install yes. just have to find a working one. but you can not buy an aftermarket cd module so to speak and add it to your existing hu. maybe hit up ebay or junk yards.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

if you can deal with just strictly cassette function then. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130KEHP203/Pioneer-KEH-P2030.html?tp=5684.
has changer controls but don't know the model number of it.

Well I don't have steering wheel controls (don't think that was an option even for our trucks) so if that's what changer controls mean, then it doesn't matter (still a total yahoo to this stuff. Definitely need a bit of research on my part). I should ask my cousins if they kept the old radio from their Tahoe because it had the CD module.

Maybe I should keep a list of what all I think I need to improve my system?
From what I understand I need an amp, four door speakers, two tweeters, and the two 4x10s in the roof. Maybe I could add a sub under the single seat in back or under the middle console?

Supposedly 6.5 inch speakers work for the doors and tweeters shouldn't be a problem.
Want speakers that fit in those 4x10 holes though, but I don't think there are any real good speakers for them?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
changer controls as the radio can control a separate cp player that holds multiple disc and mounts away somewhere else out of view. it looks something like this.

SEL-asset-24098_hero.png

you can see if they are still made or buy used but they had ones that also had a separate controller that would feed the audio thru a stereo plug or fm radio signal.

Like this: http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...r-CD-Changer-Refurbished/1590568/product.html

6.5"will fit the doors. most don't use or replace the 4x10 in the rear roof. but you might. i think pioneer still makes some but some have fitted 6x9"as well. i have a dual 10" down-fire box under the back seat on mine. plenty of options out there.

OP
OP
The Arkle

The Arkle

Reaction score
changer controls as the radio can control a separate cp player that holds multiple disc and mounts away somewhere else out of view. it looks something like this.

SEL-asset-24098_hero.png

you can see if they are still made or buy used but they had ones that also had a separate controller that would feed the audio thru a stereo plug or fm radio signal.

Like this: http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...r-CD-Changer-Refurbished/1590568/product.html

6.5"will fit the doors. most don't use or replace the 4x10 in the rear roof. but you might. i think pioneer still makes some but some have fitted 6x9"as well. i have a dual 10" down-fire box under the back seat on mine. plenty of options out there.

That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for clearing that up dude. You managed to dumb it down enough for me to understand haha

It seems I can buy refurbed CD modules for the stock Delco so I might go with that and add an amp. Do the four doors and tweeters. Call it good.
Since my tahoe is in kinda rough shape no use dumping a bunch of money into a HU and super expensive stuff if all of it can't be reused in something nicer down the road, y'know?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you will need speaker level to line level converters to take the speaker outputs of old radio to convert them to line audio outputs to use on the amp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76