Plugs dirty after 800 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished changing the intake manifold gasket. Cranked it up to see if it was any better. Still rumbling and stumbling, although maybe not quite as bad. Pulled a P0102 and P0306 out of pending codes. The P0102 went away on the next run. I cleaned the MAF while I had everything apart so hopefully the P0102 was just a remnant of that. However the P0306 was still there so I'll look into plug #6 once the engine cools down.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sort of using this thread as a log of what I've done so far.

Pulled the plug and it appears to be fine. Swapped the coil packs between #4 and #6 and the misfire stayed on cylinder 6. I should have swapped the plugs too, but figured it looked ok. I'll swap them today and see if the misfire stays on #6. I think after that, next move is to pull the valve cover and check for a stuck or collapsed lifter. I'm hesitant about that given the issues I've had with the valve cover bolts and also because I'm not hearing that ticking/knocking noise that usually comes with a stuck or collapsed lifter.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Collapsed lifter!!! Took the valve cover off tonight and cylinder #6 has a collapsed lifter. The rocker arm is loose just like all the videos I've seen. I think my plan is to order the tool from CrazedPerformanceRepair to try to get it unstuck. Then perform his suggested mods to the VLOM. Finally I'll send off the ECM to LT1swap.com to get the AFM tuned out of it. Hopefully that will get me back on the road for another 200k miles.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Collapsed lifter!!! Took the valve cover off tonight and cylinder #6 has a collapsed lifter. The rocker arm is loose just like all the videos I've seen. I think my plan is to order the tool from CrazedPerformanceReview to try to get it unstuck. Then perform his suggested mods to the VLOM. Finally I'll send off the ECM to LT1swap.com to get the AFM tuned out of it. Hopefully that will get me back on the road for another 200k miles.
Glad you got to the bottom of this!

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as usual things haven't gone according to plan. I got the tool to free the lifter but haven't been able to get it free yet. Looks like I'm gonna have to remove the head to get at it. However, since the head will have to be pulled to get the bad lifter out, I figure I might as well go ahead and do a full AFM delete while things are torn apart. I've already talked to a local shop about doing the work for me as it's a little over my head. I'm planning on ordering a kit from Texas Speed and Performance as they seem to be the biggest player in that space. Hopefully we'll eventually get to a good place with this.

Was really hoping I could be back on the road with just the lifter tool trick and a tune, but I guess the car gods have other plans.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that many miles on that engine, I'd be inclined to just pull the head and install all new lifters (AFM and regular) and trays on that side only, then have the AFM tuned out. Unless you're looking for more performance....

It will save you a bunch of money and you'll probably never have to touch it again because the primary failure mode of those lifters won't occur again with the system tuned out.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would have been cheaper, but I figured the labor would be almost the same so I might as well fully get rid of the AFM while it's opened up. And with my luck lately the failed lifter probably damaged the cam shaft too so I'd need to replace that. Hell with my luck, I'll get it back all fixed up and then get T-***** pulling out of the shop.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course I had to give it one more try before I started putting everything back together. What do you know, the lifter freed up and shot the pushrod right out like it's supposed to. So, in theory my truck should be drivable now once I get my computer back. However, the damage that the tool took when the lifter finally freed up has me a little worried. I'm guessing there's a little piece of metal floating around in there somewhere now. My plan was to put a bottle of Rislone in it and let it idle for a little while and then change the oil anyway. Hopefully whatever came off the tool will get caught by the filter. AFM delete kit is scheduled to be delivered Friday and I talked to the shop about bringing it in Monday morning.

PXL_20220317_005911160.jpg
PXL_20220317_005926138.jpg

Reaction score
Of course I had to give it one more try before I started putting everything back together. What do you know, the lifter freed up and shot the pushrod right out like it's supposed to. So, in theory my truck should be drivable now once I get my computer back. However, the damage that the tool took when the lifter finally freed up has me a little worried. I'm guessing there's a little piece of metal floating around in there somewhere now. My plan was to put a bottle of Rislone in it and let it idle for a little while and then change the oil anyway. Hopefully whatever came off the tool will get caught by the filter. AFM delete kit is scheduled to be delivered Friday and I talked to the shop about bringing it in Monday morning.
Keep us updated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mspranger9