Persistent Misfire cylinder 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys

Need some help here

About 2 months ago I had a misfire in cylinder 3 with a flashing check engine light

I replaced the ignition coil and it immediately fixed the issue. I then went ahead and changed all the plugs and wires.

Now the 2 days ago about 45 min into an hour drive and I get another cylinder 3 misfire code P0353 solid check engine light and 2 pending codes P0303 & P0353. The mechanic cleared the codes and I went about my business.

Then yesterday I’m taking another hour plus drive and I get a flashing check engine light that stops about 3 mins after it starts. And I have 2 new pending codes P0303 & P0353. Light goes off and never comes back on. I clear the pending codes

I go to the mechanic today and he moves the coil from cylinder 3 (the one that was changed ) and exchanges it with the cylinder 1 coil. Now driving I get the same pending codes again P0303 & P0353.

What do you guys think ??

Any assistance or comments are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys

Need some help here

About 2 months ago I had a misfire in cylinder 3 with a flashing check engine light

I replaced the ignition coil and it immediately fixed the issue. I then went ahead and changed all the plugs and wires.

Now the 2 days ago about 45 min into an hour drive and I get another cylinder 3 misfire code P0353 solid check engine light and 2 pending codes P0303 & P0353. The mechanic cleared the codes and I went about my business.

Then yesterday I’m taking another hour plus drive and I get a flashing check engine light that stops about 3 mins after it starts. And I have 2 new pending codes P0303 & P0353. Light goes off and never comes back on. I clear the pending codes

I go to the mechanic today and he moves the coil from cylinder 3 (the one that was changed ) and exchanges it with the cylinder 1 coil. Now driving I get the same pending codes again P0303 & P0353.

What is the condition of the harness going to the coil?

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be worth the time to take a meter and check for resistance and continuity to rule that part of the equation out.

I’ll do that

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be an injector acting up.

You could swap the #3 injector around with the #1 injector and see if the issue persists.

That’s exactly what was done.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys

Need some help here

Ok, With the coil swapped, the mechanic should have hooked up his bi-directional scan tool and verified that all ignition control circuits displayed OK. This means that there was no Short To Ground, Short To Open or Short To Volts.

If there is, fix the wiring. If all is ok with wiring, replace the ECM.

If the engine runs too long like this, it could take out the cats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr