Performance upgrade Ideas for my 2001 5.3 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Evildmanarc

Evildmanarc

Reaction score
Watch some Richard holdener videos, he’s recently done cam testing for exactly what people here want, more torque.
I think the sloppy stage 2 cam still seems like the best bang for the buck.
Thank you very much I will watch those right now!

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend a low lift 212/218 112lsa cam, it will sound good make more power everywhere, and not sacrifice anywhere either. The sloppy stg2 is a little aggressive for a 5.3 IMO. Summit has some good low lift truck cams as well and the savings could help pay for valvetrain upgrades.

Noggles

Reaction score
I will have to look into that then. I definitely want them to modify my crossmember, as I don't trust myself THAT much with a welder. Thank you for your input!

This is who I'll go through for my crossmember but there are a few others online that make them as well.

OP
OP
Evildmanarc

Evildmanarc

Reaction score

This is who I'll go through for my crossmember but there are a few others online that make them as well.
Oh wow I really like this site! The FAQ section is absolutely amazing! I'm already window shopping a TBSS intake as we speak.... That looks like a perfect addition to my upgrade list, but do you think with the TBSS intake manifold and https://www.glennsautoperformance.c...cam-dynamics-nsr-truck-cam-low-lift-cd13001-1 cam I will need a new converter with a different stall? Thats a decent amount of torque gain over stock with just those two parts alone from my research and reading.

Noggles

Reaction score
Oh wow I really like this site! The FAQ section is absolutely amazing! I'm already window shopping a TBSS intake as we speak.... That looks like a perfect addition to my upgrade list, but do you think with the TBSS intake manifold and https://www.glennsautoperformance.c...cam-dynamics-nsr-truck-cam-low-lift-cd13001-1 cam I will need a new converter with a different stall? Thats a decent amount of torque gain over stock with just those two parts alone from my research and reading.

I don’t think so. I’d try to avoid a new converter too but my only experience has been in a truck that wasn’t really well tuned for it and it drove pretty terrible. Not sure if tuning would have changed that but it’s definitely turned me off from the idea.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re leaving performance on the table without a converter in an auto. A tune certainly makes or breaks how a high stall drives.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I didn't heavily modify my crossmember for my 4L80e swap. The mount needs to be moved about 3"~4" back. I took a 3/8" thick piece of metal and bolted it down to the crossmember. Then I drilled new holes in the plate about 3"~4" back for the mount.

Noggles

Reaction score
You’re leaving performance on the table without a converter in an auto. A tune certainly makes or breaks how a high stall drives.

Yeah there's performance there to be had but it'll also drive kinda spongy and terrible IME. I would gladly give up some performance to not feel like my trans is always slipping.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's performance there to be had but it'll also drive kinda spongy and terrible IME. I would gladly give up some performance to not feel like my trans is always slipping.
You sound like someone who hasn’t experienced a nice converter. Buy something of quality with a good tuner and it’ll drive like stock in regular driving.

Noggles

Reaction score
You sound like someone who hasn’t experienced a nice converter. Buy something of quality with a good tuner and it’ll drive like stock in regular driving.

I have known many stalled auto guys in my years of being into cars and most all of them buy good parts and their cars run good because of it. The last one I was in was a 6.0 swapped rcsb z71 with an 80e and a PTC billet triple disk. You are probably on to something in regards to tuning because that wasn't tuned the greatest before it was taken back apart but even then it felt meh to me. I would gladly reconsider once I have experienced a properly set up thing but I dunno, just from my limited knowledge of how they work and how they are "supposed" to drive, I think it may just not be for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak