Hello! And looking for ideas about an issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First of all, this is my first post here so hello everyone!

Secondly, here is what I am working with: I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3L 4WD that I recently acquired a few months back - it was completely stock with 207,*** miles.

Since I got it, I have done brand new maintenance items: tires, brakes, calipers, rotors, oil pan gasket, and oil filter housing gasket.

Aftermarket equipment I have done is: Sony touchscreen double-din radio with backup camera, led taillight housings with resistors built in, led headlights (high and low beams) with new housings, led fog lights, and a few other detail items on the interior.

When we got it, the ABS and Parking Brake Light would come on about every other day it seemed. Which by searching on here, I found that it was more than likely due to a faulty ABS module. I left it alone since nothing else seemed to be affected by it and figured I would get it to it soon enough.

Fast forward to now, and the ABS and Parking Brake Light comes on virtually every time you drive and/or start the vehicle.

Yesterday morning on a cold start, the Service 4WD and ABS came on as I turned sharp right out of the driveway, and the vehicle didn't seem to have much power. I cleared the ABS codes, restarted, and it went back to normal - so it seemed.

As I was driving to see what it would do, it started acting differently and really odd. The ABS and Parking Light were turning on and then off, sometimes together, sometimes individually, while at the same time on occasion the two turn signal indicators on the dash would light up but very dim. When that happened with the signal lights, I lost the ability to actually use the turn signals at all AND my rear view camera would also lose signal - extremely weird.

I do want to mention as well, sometimes there would be no warning lights on at all and the dash looks normal, then I would hit a bump or take a turn and they would start lighting back up - I also find that very odd.

I have not pulled anything apart to start checking things out, but I figured I would ask here first to see if anyone had any ideas of where to start, or what it could possibly be.

I was thinking possibly the LED taillight housings since they have built in resistors possibly? Or maybe even the backup camera itself? Or then there's the obvious possibility of something wrong with the ABS module like I had initially thought?

Thanks for any help!! And so sorry for the long first post!

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened on my son's yukon 4WD...There is a wire connection on the top of the transmission that goes to the speed sensors. That connection had wiggled loose. Try disconnecting and reconnection that and see if it fixes it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may have more than 1 issue going on, I would have the cluster replaced or looked at by a person that repairs them usually you can find them locally on craigslist or something, look for someone that pretty much does it for a living or good sidemoney, there are some clowns that do not have any business inside a cluster.
after that is addressed, then get a scanner that can read ABS and scan it while the lights are lit up to confirm the issue, if it happens on a turn it could be a hub or the module or both.
the cluster should not be dim or bright or go on/off because of any resistor on your truck, that would be a short in the cluster.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
You can remove the ABS computer and resolder all the bad joints. Lots of YouTube videos for that. When my turn signals came on dim and we’re acting weird, I cleaned a pin in the lighting block. It is right in front of the rear tire on passenger side. Replacement is like $15, but just check for green corrosion. Cleaned one pin 5 years ago, fine since.

OP
OP
T

Tyler777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all this great information! This is giving me some good places to look. I had no idea about those connections underneath. Also I do need to look into that cluster, I believe the stepper motor for the oil pressure sometimes has a fit - it likes to erratically move every now and then and get stuck when I shut the ignition off.

Here is the codes from the ABS that I am getting: C0281, C0265, C0245, C0251, C0246,C0252, C0242, and C0241.

The first two codes are the only different ones C0281 is a stop lamp switch circuit, and C0265 is a solenoid control monitor error. The other ones all say the same thing - EBCM Control Valve Circuit.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving suggestions and perspectives from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum. Now that you have displayed the actual codes, more folks will chime in.

As stated above, I believe that you have more then 1 issue impacting you. The fact that some of your issues arise or change when you go over a bump, leads me to believe that you may have a ground connection that is corroded, or you have a connection on a circuit board that is marginal, or even a connector that may be corroded.

OP
OP
T

Tyler777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all for all this help! This has definitely given me some extremely useful information in hopes of tracking down any and all issues with it. I'm definitely looking forward to having it all working properly for sure.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for all this help! This has definitely given me some extremely useful information in hopes of tracking down any and all issues with it. I'm definitely looking forward to having it all working properly for sure.
Sound like grounding to me, as well. That can do weird things to the electrical sys. Although, I had a few of those symptoms when my ignition went bad at 203,000. But within a day or two, it just quit starting. I got a 2005 complete column from a salvage yard for $75 and just swapped my original key socket, steering wheel, and trim (since mine was a different color).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods