My Project Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Drove to the hardware store the other day. The car has almost like a death wobble. I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that did the same thing. But it was 4wd and was a common thing on Jeeps. Thinking about upgrading the shock to KBD Mono-Max shocks. You can diffidently tell the new springs can't handle the weight of the car. Very disappointed. Just glad I installed the air bags.
IMG_2553.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Drove to the hardware store the other day. The car has almost like a death wobble. I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that did the same thing. But it was 4wd and was a common thing on Jeeps. Thinking about upgrading the shock to KBD Mono-Max shocks. You can diffidently tell the new springs can't handle the weight of the car. Very disappointed. Just glad I installed the air bags.
View attachment 385396
Many of us here have went with the Bilstein 4600 shocks. Really good shocks. I lowered 2/3 using Crown components also. I was on a budget, so I didn't go with the front spindles, went with the lowering keys.
When you say "death wobble", what exactly is it doing? Was this after the drop? Or did you notice it before that?

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Many of us here have went with the Bilstein 4600 shocks. Really good shocks. I lowered 2/3 using Crown components also. I was on a budget, so I didn't go with the front spindles, went with the lowering keys.
When you say "death wobble", what exactly is it doing? Was this after the drop? Or did you notice it before that?
Wobble was after I drop it. Rode great before. Matter fact it rode and took corners really good. Now not so much now. If you every rode in a Jeep you would know what the "Death Wobble is". Its where it would roll from side to side when you hit a bump in the road. Or turn to sharp. You can tell the Crown springs are not that strong. I can stand on the rear bumper and jump up and down on the car. Can make it almost bottom out. And that is with 10lbs of air in the air bags. After reviewing other peoples drop kit experiences. The Crown seemed the best for the money. Heard the Bel-Techs where way to soft.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
My 2005 Yukon XL has the ZW7 RPO code, known as the Premium Smooth Ride option. When you replace the shocks or springs, you have to replace both at the same time, at least according to Bilstein. I changed from AC Delco to Bilstein, and there was a huge difference in ride and handling, for the better. Also, you really need to get new spring seat insulators - they're very important and not expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork