Pedal Commander - Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, but I'm skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I've never used it, so I do not have any personal experience with this device.

Some folks more knowledgeable than me, who have analyzed it actions, are not in favor of it.

But, again, to each his/her own.

OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, but I'm skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I've never used it, so I do not have any personal experience with this device.

Some folks more knowledgeable than me, who have analyzed it actions, are not in favor of it.

Your mileage may vary, but I can tell you that without it, if I stomp on the gas (which I do more frequently than I should), I've always been disappointed by the response. There has always been about a 1.5 second delay before the truck took off.

With it, when I stomp on the gas, you feel instant acceleration, with no noticeable delay at all.

Yes, it also opens the throttle body wider, so you don't have to "stomp" it to get it moving quickly. But what I like the most is that the instant acceleration.

Try it yourself. Without this mod, when you stomp on the gas, do you feel a delay, or lag of about 1.5 seconds before the truck gets going?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any doubt that it “works”, but does it have any effect/long term negative effect on your vehicle ?
And can they tell in your ECM if something has been screwing with it?

OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way to confirm, but supposedly, no and no.

I guess if there was something to be skeptical about, that would be it.

I’ll take my changes. It’s so much more fun to drive now, that I can’t do without it. Be far my favorite part of the vehicle.

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score

I watched your posted videos, and I hope you're not implying these two fellas when you say folks are more knowledgeable. There is nothing but negative hearsay from what I saw. I will tell you for a fact that there is an actual improvement in response, a significant one. They don't claim falsely to give you more horsepower like so many other upgrades, so many fall trap too. Try one for 10 minutes, and you will be shocked. It's not trickery. But I agree, and as you say, to each their own.

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
I don’t have any doubt that it “works”, but does it have any effect/long term negative effect on your vehicle ?
And can they tell in your ECM if something has been screwing with it?
I had this installed on a brand new 4-runner for 50000 miles, and not one issue. Made the sluggish response berable. It left no effect whatsoever, and the dealer who knew about it had no concerns. No History, no error codes.

On the way home today, the response is like driving a truck with twice the horsepower or torque. I know because I owned a Range Rover Autobiography that was 525HP Turbocharged. Folks get caught up in the horsepower chase, me too sometimes. The truck is faster because it responds quicker. I am a big advocate for these simply because they work way better than any other performance mod. I would bet if you tried it and didn't like it they would return it, Amazon would anyway. Would love to hear the feedback of someone that has never tried one before to validate.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional responses and perspectives. It confirms that there two sides to almost every and issue or discussion. That is good, as that supports democracy.

For me, I don't feel any lag when I floor my 6.2, so I have no need to change anything, other than getting a quality professional performance tune, which is more than good enough for me.

Now, what would be interesting for me, would be some documented results for 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, with and without this unit. Maybe, some member of this Forum has this unit installed, and also frequents the local drag strip.

As I said in my first response, to each, his/her own. If you like it, go for it. For me, not so much (admitting again. that I have not personally tried it).

OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional responses and perspectives. It confirms that there two sides to almost every and issue or discussion. That is good, as that supports democracy.

For me, I don't feel any lag when I floor my 6.2, so I have no need to change anything, other than getting a quality professional performance tune, which is more than good enough for me.

Now, what would be interesting for me, would be some documented results for 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, with and without this unit. Maybe, some member of this Forum has this unit installed, and also frequents the local drag strip.

As I said in my first response, to each, his/her own. If you like it, go for it. For me, not so much (admitting again. that I have not personally tried it).
The ONLY improvement in results for 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs would be the reduction/elimination of the lag. This is because it reduces the time it takes for the gas pedal to send a request to open the throttle body to the EUC (in my estimation, without the mod, about 1.5 seconds). HP and everything else doesn't change. This mods makes the vehicle absolutely LEAP of the line, and opens the throttle body faster (for example, depending on your setting, gas pedal at 1/4 with the mod is the same as gas pedal at 1/2 without)

Last edited:

JerseySUP

Reaction score
To each their own, but in my opinion, the Pedal Commander allows for a much smoother, more linear, acceleration. And the driving experience (again, for me) is much more enjoyable. To me it's about having a 1:1 ratio on pedal movement to throttle response, and allowing ME to determine/control the throttle response and not the computer. When I push the pedal 20% more, I get 20% more throttle response. The computer is not electronically adjusting and varying the throttle response to what it "thinks" I should want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal