Parking brakes suddenly loose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all in advance. I replaced the parking brake shoes about 20k Miles ago. They have been great since. I tow a boat and when backing into the water, these brakes are essential as the I can't have the entire weight of the tow package and trailer on the transmission. That horrible clunking sound always makes me cringe. In any case, here is what is happening.

Suddenly when depressing the pedal, it is soft now and when backing in the boat, it is slowly slipping. So I thought that was odd. Went below and notice the cable hadn't slipped but I tightened it even further. Went to back in again last week and it held for a moment, then I heard this metallic clink sound and it started once again to slip. I just tested both sides and they are both holding somewhat. I tested both sides hoping I would find the one side and only dig into that side only, but both hold somewhat.

Any helpful advise would be great. Thank you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try adjusting them via the actuator and or at the junction of the three cables along the driver's side frame (some are not adjustable here). At this age it may need replacement of the actuator and cables. The cables stretch.

I've fooled around with adjusting mine several times, got it to hold a little better but going to change the actuator and three cables when I switch axles. A few years ago one member on here was having trouble with his and the dealer got them adjusted for about an hour's worth of labor. The labor book says .9 hours.

Let me re-state this. The clearance between the parking brake shoes and the drum is less than 1 mm. You have to disable the parking brake actuator, adjust the shoes and then enable the actuator. Then the actuator tension can be adjusted via the pedal.

I've included the instructions for my generation truck which came right after yours.

Attachments

• ALLDATAdiy.com - 2009 GMC Truck Yukon XL 4WD V8-5.3L - Park Brake Cable Adjuster Disabling.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ALLDATAdiy.com - 2009 GMC Truck Yukon XL 4WD V8-5.3L - Park Brake Cable Adjuster Enabling.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ALLDATAdiy.com - 2009 GMC Truck Yukon XL 4WD V8-5.3L - Parking Brake Shoe Adjustments.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try adjusting them via the actuator and or at the junction of the three cables along the driver's side frame (some are not adjustable here). At this age it may need replacement of the actuator and cables. The cables stretch.

I've fooled around with adjusting mine several times, got it to hold a little better but going to change the actuator and three cables when I switch axles. A few years ago one member on here was having trouble with his and the dealer got them adjusted for about an hour's worth of labor. The labor book says .9 hours.

Let me re-state this. The clearance between the parking brake shoes and the drum is less than 1 mm. You have to disable the parking brake actuator, adjust the shoes and then enable the actuator. Then the actuator tension can be adjusted via the pedal.

I've included the instructions for my generation truck which came right after yours.
Thank you. Why does it have to be so complicated? The issue with mine is that it was sudden. One trip it was strong and tight with pushing the pedal down about 3/4 way down. The next I had to push it to the floor and I was still slipping. What are your thoughts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Why does it have to be so complicated? The issue with mine is that it was sudden. One trip it was strong and tight with pushing the pedal down about 3/4 way down. The next I had to push it to the floor and I was still slipping. What are your thoughts.
Stuff wears out and breaks, even when we service it. Like mine, your actuator is probably done for and needs replacing.

Mine came with the kind you set with your foot and release by pulling on a handle. I'm going to replace with it with the kind that sets and releases by foot.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuff wears out and breaks, even when we service it. Like mine, your actuator is probably done for and needs replacing.

Mine came with the kind you set with your foot and release by pulling on a handle. I'm going to replace with it with the kind that sets and releases by foot.
I just went through the entire assembly and replaced it all just 20k miles ago. Alright well thank you for the reply.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have to check if the shoes are still good…I’ve heard of some Nonoem shoes falling apart pretty quick. In my mind, it’s almost a tie which is more of a pita: removing drum hat or adjusting the cables like what swathdiver linked. Good luck

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen cables pull tight, but not return to release position, due to corrosion inside the cable shield...

You want to be sure the actuator bit that expands the e-brake shoe and the cables move freely. Cables get all rusty and corroded. Especially, if the truck is in and out of water like a boat ramp... Salt water is even tougher on those parts. Lubrication on the cable strands and working it in can be a big help in keeping things moving.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went through the entire assembly and replaced it all just 20k miles ago. Alright well thank you for the reply.

I had a lining pop off my parking brake shoe that was only about a year old. I also had a weeping axle seal that would oil up the other one and make it slip. First thing is first, you gotta pull the wheels and rotors and check all the hardware. The shoes, the self adjusters, the cables.

I also daily a trailer to the boat ramp so I feel you. Do you notice one side grabbing better than the other at all?

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lining pop off my parking brake First thing is first, you gotta pull the wheels and rotors and check all the hardware. The shoes, the self adjusters, shoe that was only about a year old. I also had a weeping axle seal that would oil up the other one and make it slip. the cables.

I also daily a trailer to the boat ramp so I feel you. Do you notice one side grabbing better than the other at all?
Yep I am now convinced, I will need to pull it all off again. Seemed the same holding on both sides but frankly it is not easy to tell. I will pull it all off again. Likely I lost another lining. Last time both linings on one side were gone but that was after 100k miles. I think the fact that we put heavy use on those shoes as with a trailer on a ramp may be the reason these linings break off so easy. I will report once I break it down.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if there is an after market that is stronger and more reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9