P0442 MIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that list that it showed after you did the "Request Info" thing is the current calibrations in the truck.

It shows the “P/N” but doesn’t show the version. Do they have more than one version for a P/N (calibration)?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shows the “P/N” but doesn’t show the version. Do they have more than one version for a P/N (calibration)?

As much as I know, each 8-digit calibration number is unique. When I'm in TIS2000 for my NBS all I see are those numbers to choose.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I know, each 8-digit calibration number is unique. When I'm in TIS2000 for my NBS all I see are those numbers to choose.

As best I can tell from what the Tech 2 shows when I do "Request Info" in the SPS section, I do have that P/N. It doesn't display a version number like the VIN search returned, so I guess I do have the latest revision number update for the Ethanol calibration.

I don't buy E85 anymore, so the most I am getting certain times of the year is a maximum of 15%. I will wait till it starts reporting into the 30%+ Ethanol content range again and maybe take it in to the dealer and see what they say.

The good news is I can reset it when I need to, so it isn't a big deal either way.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you go to the site I listed to see if there were any further calibrations?

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go to the site I listed to see if there were any further calibrations?

Yes, that is where I got the P/N. Mine has that as the last ECU update. What I was fuzzy on was the version number. The site lists a version number for the P/N but my Tech 2 only lists the P/N when I do the Request. But it does list that “P/N” as installed on my ECU.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This guy recommends resetting the LT fuel trims, too, after zeroing the fuel composition.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy recommends resetting the LT fuel trims, too, after zeroing the fuel composition.

Good idea.

I think I figured out where my confusion is on the version number. It isn’t a version number, it is a verification number, which I assume is a form of checksum, so the “P/N” is the new calibration.

The one I have is the last one for my VIN, so I got the latest and greatest.

I will reset the L/T trims and see what happens. They were already trending down yesterday as my S/T trims were really close to zero.

Maybe resetting to a baseline Ethanol, using that Ethanol free Mobil gas and resetting the long term trims will teach my ECU to stop recalibration above the normal 10% or so, I usually have in the tank.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know how it goes. Mine has the actual sensor so it's a bit different system.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Good idea.

I think I figured out where my confusion is on the version number. It isn’t a version number, it is a verification number, which I assume is a form of checksum, so the “P/N” is the new calibration.

The one I have is the last one for my VIN, so I got the latest and greatest.

I will reset the L/T trims and see what happens. They were already trending down yesterday as my S/T trims were really close to zero.

Maybe resetting to a baseline Ethanol, using that Ethanol free Mobil gas and resetting the long term trims will teach my ECU to stop recalibration above the normal 10% or so, I usually have in the tank.

It is funny that this subject is being brought up now as my truck is doing the same thing.

I ran E85 for several tanks months ago and then went back to my normal 89 octane which is only supposed to have 10% ethanol max.

I checked my ethanol % the other day and it was showing up in the 30 something % range.

I reset the ethanol content (which makes it read 3%) and fuel trims the other day and drove around for a while. After refueling the truck and driving it settled in at 24% ethanol.

Yesterday I reset just the Ethanol % and drove around while watching the ST and LT fuel trims.

Then I went and topped off the tank (from a half a tank) with 89 Ethanol free. After the ethanol recalibrated it settled at 17%.

I am still not happy.

I have been reading everything I can find about it and my plan is to clean my MAF sensor and top off again with Ethanol free and see where it ends up.

I replaced the upstream O2 sensors with Denso units about 2 years ago so I don't think they are an issue BUT I did notice the driver's side drops down a lot lower than the passenger side.

Passenger side bounces back and forth between 700-900 mv... drivers side does the same 700-900 mv but will drop down to 100-200 mv for a second and then back to normal. The 700-900 mv tells me it is running rich.

If cleaning the MAF sensor doesn't correct the issue then I may end up replacing the O2 sensors again.

The only on going issue i have is a CEL that comes on periodically for EVAP gross leak detected P0455.
I have replaced everything in the EVAP system minus the actual lines, tank, fuel pump.

Keep me posted on how you make out with yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is funny that this subject is being brought up now as my truck is doing the same thing.

I ran E85 for several tanks months ago and then went back to my normal 89 octane which is only supposed to have 10% ethanol max.

I checked my ethanol % the other day and it was showing up in the 30 something % range.

I reset the ethanol content (which makes it read 3%) and fuel trims the other day and drove around for a while. After refueling the truck and driving it settled in at 24% ethanol.

Yesterday I reset just the Ethanol % and drove around while watching the ST and LT fuel trims.

Then I went and topped off the tank (from a half a tank) with 89 Ethanol free. After the ethanol recalibrated it settled at 17%.

I am still not happy.

I have been reading everything I can find about it and my plan is to clean my MAF sensor and top off again with Ethanol free and see where it ends up.

I replaced the upstream O2 sensors with Denso units about 2 years ago so I don't think they are an issue BUT I did notice the driver's side drops down a lot lower than the passenger side.

Passenger side bounces back and forth between 700-900 mv... drivers side does the same 700-900 mv but will drop down to 100-200 mv for a second and then back to normal. The 700-900 mv tells me it is running rich.

If cleaning the MAF sensor doesn't correct the issue then I may end up replacing the O2 sensors again.

The only on going issue i have is a CEL that comes on periodically for EVAP gross leak detected P0455.
I have replaced everything in the EVAP system minus the actual lines, tank, fuel pump.

Keep me posted on how you make out with yours.

I will.

I did see in the clip @Fless posted the guy said to clean the MAF, along with resetting the trims. Makes sense, I will also do that as well.

My MAF might be dirty as I had forgotten to change air filters and when I changed it the other day, it was really bad. I have been on fire roads and 4X tracks a lot in the last few years, really dirty environments.

Also, I too changed my O2 sensors recently. I did get the OE units and they seem to be working fine (hopping way down and up).

I haven’t gotten any codes from this stuff, other than the code for the loose cap. If it pops back up, with the cap tight, I will report that as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700