P0011 code and plan of attack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve your issue? I am having similar issues. My 07 Denali XL threw the P0011 code for the first time yesterday but has been almost stalling after driving on the freeway above 65 mph for the past month or so. It actually stalled in a traffic jam and did not want to restart initially. After 4 or 5 tries it finally restarted sluggishly. Once it stabilized, no code and it drove fine the rest of my trip. I really need to know the issue without spending major amounts of $$$ replacing a bunch of parts. I am in a new city and haven't gotten a "go to" mechanic I can trust yet. Any information you might have would help.
I suggest you get the highest Octane fuel you can get in the mean time(93 Octane preferred) to prevent damage because of
Pre-ignition
eventually your going to cause more damage then just these actuators .... if you have a OBD2 reader tell us the freeze frame data for the advancement i think it will say 42+ degrees

42 degrees advancement will be a issue with 87 octane the best you can do with 87 octane is 12 degrees...

use the M gear to turn off Active fuel management as well
as the advancement issue is worse with AFM

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this problem ever resolved? I’m having the same problem on my 07

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped off mine at the mechanic for P0011. He calls me up telling me he wants to change the crank shaft position sensor, magnet, vvt solenoid, and another sensor solenoid located in the rear of the motor which requires removing the intake manifold. In my research I have heard of anything in the back of the motor. Am I missing something?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped off mine at the mechanic for P0011. He calls me up telling me he wants to change the crank shaft position sensor, magnet, vvt solenoid, and another sensor solenoid located in the rear of the motor which requires removing the intake manifold. In my research I have heard of anything in the back of the motor. Am I missing something?
The crankshaft position sensor is above the starter at the back of the motor, but removing the intake manifold won't help you get to it. The sensor that's behind the manifold is an oil pressure sensor, and it's a common problem spot. The screen beneath it gets plugged and throws the oil pressure readings off. But I don't see how oil pressure relates to a P0011 code, unless he's trying to rule out a low oil pressure indication from actual low oil pressure, which would interfere with the operation of the VVT system. If so, then replacing the sensor/screen makes sense.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many times that I’ve googled this subject there is never an answer. People just have it happen intermittently or they think they fix it and it just comes back. I dropped mine off at my mechanic. Changed cam position sensor, water pump, the magnet, vvt bolt, oil pump, oil pick up tube, and my rear main was leaking so everything was changed for that. Picked up my truck on Friday night drove it home, and didn’t drive it till sat night light came back on. Before and after all this trucks been idling at just above the redline for the oil pressure when hot. Drove to the beach today only 8 miles away lots of traffic though. Just stalled trying to make a u turn. Never started back up. Had it towed by my mechanics shop. I feel like I just nothing but netted 1,800 down the drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26