Overhead Console power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krbjmpr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mod: please put where should be if I chose incorrectly.

2012 Yukon SLT, bought a loaded Buick roof console off ebay. My console has Lear only, replacement has Homelink with 12-12-13 build date sticker. Plan is to swap buttons/ module as mentioned elsewhere.. $45 free shipping!

It got me pondering future projects that involve power. Eventually the dash cam and radar detector will be powered from top, and need to find source of power.

My plan was to just snake 12awg through A pillar, across roof above headliner, etc to console. Is there a place I can tap off 12v and draw say 4 or 5, maybe 8 amps already? Actually, it would be 40watts max off PD hub, so 12v would be 40/12=3.5 rounding up = 4 amps.

Is sunroof harness typically already there and just not used? I know, that would be too easy...

I use LED already, could I steal power from map / courtesy lights? Is 12v there all the time?

And going just a little bit further... anyone figure out how to change the back-lit face of a sunroof in/out switch and make there own that looks nice and says... perhaps Rockets or Missiles? And still retain back-lit? Plan was to get another console for my Yukon, loaded with sunroof and liftgate, and re-use those switches. Won't use bcm tie in though if I can avoid it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2012 Yukon SLT, bought a loaded Buick roof console off ebay. My console has Lear only, replacement has Homelink with 12-12-13 build date sticker. Plan is to swap buttons/ module as mentioned elsewhere.. $45 free shipping!

It got me pondering future projects that involve power. Eventually the dash cam and radar detector will be powered from top, and need to find source of power.

My plan was to just snake 12awg through A pillar, across roof above headliner, etc to console. Is there a place I can tap off 12v and draw say 4 or 5, maybe 8 amps already? Actually, it would be 40watts max off PD hub, so 12v would be 40/12=3.5 rounding up = 4 amps.

Is sunroof harness typically already there and just not used? I know, that would be too easy...

I use LED already, could I steal power from map / courtesy lights? Is 12v there all the time?

And going just a little bit further... anyone figure out how to change the back-lit face of a sunroof in/out switch and make there own that looks nice and says... perhaps Rockets or Missiles? And still retain back-lit? Plan was to get another console for my Yukon, loaded with sunroof and liftgate, and re-use those switches. Won't use bcm tie in though if I can avoid it.
I’m pretty sure there is a way to get power from there. A few folks on here have gotten adapters from eBay or Amazon to do so. @swathdiver @Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not sure how many amps the power up there has but I run my valentine one off of the mirror harness, the passenger airbag light has power whenever the key is on also.
my dashcam is 5v so I just ran a 12v to 5v usb adapter up the pillar and across

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
krbjmpr

krbjmpr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was into my console just a few minutes ago upgrading Lear to Homelink. While I was in there, in addition to identifying an intermittent rattle, I also probed looking for power.

Orange and Red/Wht both have same voltage as power port, though I think Orange is bcm controlled. Regardless, pretty small guage for my purposes. Given all the room above console, I am going to put an industrial USB charge block and run wires down rearview mirror wiring cover and branch out from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore