Ordering a DENALI...how to best negotiate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a Denali with silver or iridium trim with cocoa/atmosphere interior at any of the local dealers...

Besides settling (did this with my last Tahoe and want 'what I want' this time around) what's the best way to 'get what I want' and get a good deal?

Can you negotiate when ordering a specific build?

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course! Find out what options you want and look up the invoice. Figure out how much below that you are willing to pay and then email a few dealers. Tell them what you are looking for and the price you want to pay, let them know you are willing to order if you need to. However, with the issues some people have reported I would just keep looking until you find one on a lot (or inbound) and work a deal on the spot. That way you know the one you are getting is problem free before it arrives in an order status. Where are you located and what options/model do you want?

OP
OP
C

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course! Find out what options you want and look up the invoice. Figure out how much below that you are willing to pay and then email a few dealers. Tell them what you are looking for and the price you want to pay, let them know you are willing to order if you need to. However, with the issues some people have reported I would just keep looking until you find one on a lot (or inbound) and work a deal on the spot. That way you know the one you are getting is problem free before it arrives in an order status. Where are you located and what options/model do you want?
Below invoice? How much below can you really get? $500? $1000? $5000?

If I can get a 75k MSRP for 60k invoice I feel ok with that unless I'm leaving big money on the table...

I agree re: buy/drive what's on the lot but for some reason I can't find a iridium or silver with cocoa/atmosphere 2016 ANYWHERE.

I settled on my Tahoe (color/options) and don't want to do it this time around.

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below invoice? How much below can you really get? $500? $1000? $5000?

If I can get a 75k MSRP for 60k invoice I feel ok with that unless I'm leaving big money on the table...

I agree re: buy/drive what's on the lot but for some reason I can't find a iridium or silver with cocoa/atmosphere 2016 ANYWHERE.

I settled on my Tahoe (color/options) and don't want to do it this time around.

It's typically around 3% of MSRP so figure out invoice and subtract it. Look on cars.com or any of the other online sites to see who has one and then look on the dealer site direct. I found 68 of them yesterday when searching Iridium Coco.

OP
OP
C

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's typically around 3% of MSRP so figure out invoice and subtract it. Look on cars.com or any of the other online sites to see who has one and then look on the dealer site direct. I found 68 of them yesterday when searching Iridium Coco.

I understand how to find the invoice price. I'm wondering how far BELOW invoice you are really going to negotiate right now....

I'll see if I can find an iridium. How would I get the car? Would they deliver it to a local dealer?

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand how to find the invoice price. I'm wondering how far BELOW invoice you are really going to negotiate right now....

I'll see if I can find an iridium. How would I get the car? Would they deliver it to a local dealer?

All they can say is no so if it's the end of the month go as low as you want.

Get it however you want. Either go to the dealer that has it and deal or chance the price with a local dealer doing a dealer swap. I would just go to the dealer with it and give them a price and if they won't deal then walk to the next one.

OP
OP
C

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All they can say is no so if it's the end of the month go as low as you want.

Get it however you want. Either go to the dealer that has it and deal or chance the price with a local dealer doing a dealer swap. I would just go to the dealer with it and give them a price and if they won't deal then walk to the next one.

I hear you. Guess I'm wondering what the range is. $5k under invoice? $1k? $400? Just want to negotiate from a position of strength and have fallback positions that are within the realm of reason.

Had a dealer search and they can't find a single one with the color/option combo I want within 300 miles. Probably have to order. Thanks again.

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3% under invoice is the range unless rebates or additional incentives are available.

OP
OP
C

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3% under invoice is the range unless rebates or additional incentives are available.

Wow. I had no idea people were getting that much off invoice. Truecar must be full of it!

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea people were getting that much off invoice. Truecar must be full of it!

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Depends on your area. I offered almost $1,500 under what TrueCar quoted and the dealer didn't even blink on accepting the price. I could have done better but the price was fair and dealer straight up did a great job and wanted a sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz