Optimal Speed with 6.2 Liter Engine for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JWBGMC

Reaction score
My rule is to keep it under 3000RPM for long durations. The 6.2 with 8 speed should be able to maintain 85mph without issues. Unless the trailer is real tall and wide causing the air brake effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This response is the most useful, interesting, and relevant answer. I thank you for your insights and suggestions. You understand engines.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that your Denali, even though rated to be able to tow up to a certain maximum amount, cannot tow the full amount of its rating, SAFELY for you, your vehicle engine or for folks on the road around you when you tow.

The tow rating on your Denali is for an empty towed vehicle and an empty towing vehicle - it does not include more than 1 occupant, gas, accessories you've added, hitch weight, tongue weight and the trailer weight posted as the final weight does not include anything that you typically include in a trailer when going somewhere with it. To SAFELY tow, for you, your engine, and occupants of the roads you travel on when you tow, the general rule is to keep what your towing below 80% of your capacity to allow for all those extras, but you have to maintain payload capacities, axle capacities since a proper weight distributing hitch throws weight to the front and rear, and GCVWR capacities as well.

And once within those capacities, yes, you do have to know and maintain trailering speeds wherever you travel.

There's a lot more to towing that hitching a trailer up and driving down the road. Your RPMs, air brake effect, etc. won't mean a thing when you are driving down the road way over capacity at unsafe speeds and yes, that would prematurely wear your engine.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love for anyone telling the OP that towing 8,000lbs at 85mph will cause premature engine wear to explain. The statement is completely false. The 8k tow limit is entirely based on the Yukon chassis and rear end capacities.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love for anyone telling the OP that towing 8,000lbs at 85mph will cause premature engine wear to explain. The statement is completely false. The 8k tow limit is entirely based on the Yukon chassis and rear end capacities.

It's simple logic, really...
Using anything at 100% of abilities/limits/duty cycle is going to cause parts/components to wear out faster than less than 100%.

You can drive around, everywhere you go, at 100 mph, come to a screeching stop at traffic lights and your drivetrain/brakes/tires will not last at long as they would normally.

Last edited:

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Operating a motor vehicle at 85 as compared to 55 will indeed cause more wear on all drive train components, regardless of whether a trailer is involved or not. Higher speed = greater wear. A trailer exacerbates it.

Simple.

Now, whether or when the resulting accelerated wear is noticeable, or measureable?

Well, like they say: "How long is a piece of string?"

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok now that safety and speed limits are clear. Are you towing with it in Trailer mode? This changes the transmission gear changes. My boat weighs about 4000 pounds. Once I’m on flat land I take it out of trailer mode. I’m not sure if there’s a recommended speed or rpm for towing but the owners manual is a good place to start as it always suggests the safest method.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is why there is a term coined "extreme conditions" of course it causes wear and tear, if you don't think so then your not too bright.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are amazing, now the name calling and generalizations have started. I have been in the automotive/heavy equipment/industrial engine world by trade since 1996. I bet most of you have never seen an engine or drivetrain development lab.....
But hey what would I know, I only spent a 1/3 of my working career as a development engineer.
Carry on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok I can see that if the transmission and differential etcetera are doing there job properly it may not put additional strain on the motor it's self, however you can't sit there as a legitimate engineer and tell me that it doesn't put additional wear on virtually every other part of the vehicle. there is a friendly little thing out there that we call "force" I could push a piece of paper down the road at 85mph and a steel object down the road at 85mph, which one is of them is going to kill you upon impact? which one could stop faster with the same brakes? which one is going to wear out the same brakes first? which one would wear out the suspension first? this is just a tiny example of the wear and tear that happens in a "imperfect world"