Optimal Speed with 6.2 Liter Engine for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
I expect to be towing a trailer in the future behind my 2016 Yukon Denali. This SUV has the 6.2 liter engine. I try to take care of the engine. For example, I am careful about making sure that oil changes are conducted at the proper time. My question is this: when I tow a trailer behind my SUV, does it matter what speed I choose? In some states, the speed limit is 65. In other states, it is 70. In Texas, the highest speed limit is 85 MPH. I want to be a safe and responsible driver. I always adhere to the speed limit. I don't care about gaining an extra 30 seconds. But my question focuses on the engine. In order to prolong the life of my 6.2 liter engine, can I drive the speed limit (85 MPH) even if I am towing 8,000 pounds? I have not found any guidance in the Owner's Manual. I try to be a "safe" driver. I also try to take care of my vehicles. Do higher speeds while towing cause more wear on the engine? Should I slow down and driver under the speed limit in order to protect my engine and drivetrain?

OP
OP
J

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Safety is always my priority. My question, however, is not about safety. My question is about the life of the engine. My question is the following: do higher speeds of an engine when towing causes greater wear and tear than when the engine is not towing? Are you able to understand that question?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safety is always my priority. My question, however, is not about safety. My question is about the life of the engine. My question is the following: do higher speeds of an engine when towing causes greater wear and tear than when the engine is not towing? Are you able to understand that question?
Ill play once more but then im done, and again towing 8000# at 85mph is unsafe, even though your vehicle may be able to achieve those higher speeds with said weight.
To answer your question, which i do understand by the way, yes, higher speeds in general wear engine components faster. Towing will compound that because the engine will need to ‘work’ harder to maintain speed, on top on the engine ‘working’ harder the transmission will also need to ‘work’ harder to maintain speed thus, increasing wear.
Good luck and drive safely

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same SUV and tow about 7500LBS all loaded up. I'm in TX also and never tow above 75, and the only time I tow that fast is when it's a flat long road. Motor/trans does fine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are from but here on the west coast Oregon/California/Washington the maximum speed towing any trailer is 55

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...I want to be a safe and responsible driver..." "...I try to be a "safe" driver..."

Safety is always my priority.

If safety was always your priority, then you wouldn't be the least bit concerned about going 85 MPH while towing 8,000 lbs., health of your vehicle be damned. The posted speed limit may be 85 MPH, but that likely doesn't apply to vehicles towing anything. I'm quite sure that Texas has superseding laws for such cases. They're not going to post a bunch of different speed limit signs to cover all possibilities: regular passenger vehicles, vehicles towing in excess of X lbs., vehicles of X lbs., vehicles of X number of axles, etc. Then there's the day- and nighttime speeds. That would be at least 8-10 signs for every speed limit sign location.

***EDIT*** I decided I had 12 seconds to look it up, just for my knowledge and entertainment:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

This sums it up:

"The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."

You being a dick on an internet forum isn't going to harm anyone, especially other nincompoops such as @Galante. You being a dick in a 7-ton, 80+ MPH missile can certainly harm or kill someone.

To address the simple question of whether or not higher engine speeds while towing causes greater wear and tear than when the engine is not towing, the simple answer is 'yes'.

Last edited:

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rule is to keep it under 3000RPM for long durations. The 6.2 with 8 speed should be able to maintain 85mph without issues. Unless the trailer is real tall and wide causing the air brake effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally I would like to add an 8k lbs trailer with properly function trailer brakes on both axles will be safer at 85mph than a much lighter load with a single axle without brakes at a lesser speed. It's all about the experience of the person towing and the equipment used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442