Opinions on synthetic oil in high milage tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CO Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
97 Tahoe. 5.7 180,000 miles. Previous owner states it has used synthetic since he bought it. I want to change my oil but cant decide if I should stay with synthetic or go with regular oil.

I feel like I remember hearing that synthetic oil in high mileage engines is not a good idea.

Hoping you guys can help me decide.

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
I say stay synthetic it seem to make my tahoe run better wen i went synthetic imo

foot to the floor

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
mobile synthetic 5w-30 new rear seal when tranny was off for overhaul. original oil system gaskets and chain cover. 245,000 miles and no leaks or oil burn. just typical residue. enough said.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with what makes your wallet happy.

You're engine has a roller cam, I think what you are referring too is the lack of zinc additives that old (read Pre 95 GM trucks) engines need. Certain synthetics are bad in that case ...

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
synthetics will make those oil leaks pop out like crazy.. i use mobil1 in everything but actually im going to be switching to something else. it makes all my pontiacs lifters tick. grand prixs, trans am. not happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667