Leak and ticking after oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had parked this in the garage for a few weeks without a single drip on the floor. Took it in for an oil change (tire store that does brakes, suspension and other stuff) because I had no idea when it had been done last or what was in it. Had them to 5W30 Full Synthetic. Now I see a small drip on the floor, front of engine area, can't tell more. Also on start up, I hear a faint tickling (tappet?) for a few seconds, then it goes away.

I've read mixed opinion of swapping to synthetic on older engines. Some say do it, some say stay with conventional.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I say stick with synthetic. The small drop could be drip from somewhere underneath where the oil splattered when draining and did not get wiped off or from filling and again, splatter that finally hit the ground.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 98 K2500 with a 5.7 ticks sometimes, only use Mobil 5000 5w-30 in it. Wait until it gets cold out and you hear the piston slap in these motors! Your oil drip might be from the oil filter area> With the sideways oil filter it's common for oil to spill onto the front driveline and drip afterwards. Also take a good look at your oil cooler lines, if they aren't leaking give it time they will.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(3) of my last (4) of this generation Suburban/Tahoe have leaked oil at the rear seal. My current '99 Tahoe isn't leaking...yet lol. Even that, as well maintained as it is, has a lifter tick for a few seconds upon startup. Nothing to worry about imo. I'll throw a drip tray under them if they are parked in an area that I don't want oil on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu