Low oil pressure on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatz_hatz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 95 Tahoe with the TBI 5.7 in it, has 227,000 miles on it 10w30 in it and a quart of Lucas oil. Yesterday i realized that when starting from a complete stop the gauge dips down pretty low below 20 but once i get it going again it reads 30-40. I’m wondering if it is more likely the sender unit or the oil pump itself. Truck runs fine and at idle it idles at 20 psi. Just everytime i accelerate from a dead stop it drops then builds back up again. Don’t wanna starve the engine of oil considering it’s age and mileage. Any help would be appreciated !

OP
OP
phatz_hatz

phatz_hatz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My advise would be to hook up a mechanical guage and tape it to the windshield and to a test drive. If the guage agrees with what you saw, then you have internal issues to look for - possibly a tired pump or worn bearings
If it is the bearings would a high volume pump help supplement the space created due to them being worn ?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not low on oil? I've got a 5.7 Vortec 2000 OBS K3500 CCLB SRW. She's a weekender work truck I rarely use and was a former ranch truck, I.e., rough around the edges. I know it leaks oil...from a lot of places. It's an oily mess down there.

Anyways mine started doing what your described and it turned out it was just low on oil! Doh! Mine actually dipped to around zero on the garage (which is not actually calibrated to numerically to "psi" if you didn't know.)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The idle reading is not bad and neither is the accel reading. The dip concerns me though. Additives, different weight oil....maybe. Best is to deal with a mechanical gauge, like @B-train said, and know for sure. Or just attempt the additives, oil and/or new sender route. I am assuming no noises. At that mileage....who knows....

OP
OP
phatz_hatz

phatz_hatz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The idle reading is not bad and neither is the accel reading. The dip concerns me though. Additives, different weight oil....maybe. Best is to deal with a mechanical gauge, like @B-train said, and know for sure. Or just attempt the additives, oil and/or new sender route. I am assuming no noises. At that mileage....who knows....
No noises, it had a slight lifter tick yesterday but once i let it idle for a while it went away cause the oil pressure was fine. So it was getting up there again. Truck runs really good for the mileage.

OP
OP
phatz_hatz

phatz_hatz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not low on oil? I've got a 5.7 Vortec 2000 OBS K3500 CCLB SRW. She's a weekender work truck I rarely use and was a former ranch truck, I.e., rough around the edges. I know it leaks oil...from a lot of places. It's an oily mess down there.

Anyways mine started doing what your described and it turned out it was just low on oil! Doh! Mine actually dipped to around zero on the garage (which is not actually calibrated to numerically to "psi" if you didn't know.)
I’m not sure honestly i don’t see any leaks on the pavement where i park. Under the hood tho is a different story, but I’m not sure if it’s oil or power steering fluid that’s built up or both lol. I will check the oil when i get home from work. I have a van for work that i drive home so that’s a plus if i gotta put her out of commission for a lil

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I’m not sure honestly i don’t see any leaks on the pavement where i park. Under the hood tho is a different story, but I’m not sure if it’s oil or power steering fluid that’s built up or both lol. I will check the oil when i get home from work. I have a van for work that i drive home so that’s a plus if i gotta put her out of commission for a lil
Gotta remember that each system has it's blood that it needs. Engine=oil. Engine=coolant. Brake system=brake fluid. Power steering=p/s fluid. Transmission=transmission fluid. Transfer case=transfer case fluid. Front and rear differentials=differential fluids. Windshield=washer fluid. You get the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk