Low oil pressure on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure try to find the leaks and fix them.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the oil pressure. I think mine idles at "20" on the cluster hot idle on my K3500.

When the 4.3 Vortec was dying on my 99 Silverado, at hot idle during the summer my gauges dipped below zero on the cluster and the "check gauges" light would came on. Truck had around 260k.

I hooked up a mechanical guage and revving up the engine actually still met spec, surprisingly. At idle I had 5 psi. I didn't have money to fix it because I was in the middle of a large home addition. I switched to the heaviest oil they sell. Pressure increased another 2-3 psi. I ran it like another 10k miles until I retired it. Engine never made any knocking or noises. I eventually swapped a 5.3/4L80e and truck still lives.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind these gauges are known to become less and less accurate over time. And sometimes they even start to bounce all over the place.
I agree with comparing with another aftermarket gauge.
General rule I was always taught was…
10psi oil pressure per 1000rpm of engine speed. Minimum for proper lubrication. Sounds like you’re still in the safe range according to your findings. I’d still check with an aftermarket gauge myself. Small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz