Ole 2 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big ole 12vve Cummins Brodozer owned by my powder coat buddy.
This is the only pic I have of it.

View attachment 279590

Dont really want to trade straight up because this trans was built with "A bunch of good parts" and knowing him he spent a pretty penny on the parts and then paid a degenerate to build it and they probably messed up on the install. So I'm hoping to salvage a bunch of parts.

I'd be down to trade whatever parts tho, obviously I wouldn't be able to use pump anyway in this Tahoe if I'm understanding @pwtr02ss correctly. Btw it is out of an 07 NNBS ltz 2wd avalanche. I'll have it home and likely broken down Friday.
I think your buddy is charging you too much for powder coating from the looks of his truck.:eek:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok "built with a bunch of good parts" 4l60 year down has begun! Didn't get as far as I'd like to because .75cent wings at gators was calling my name!

Anyway it's obvious whoever built this didn't understand how gaskets work because more isn't better. Looks like Gobbs and gobbs of RTV over a cork gasket which when quenched pushed pieces of both all into the inside of the trans.

Next evidence found was the pan which was full of what I think is friction material absolutely no metal found so far.

Heres a bunch of other pics let me know what y'all think.
20210524_190745.jpg 20210524_191843.jpg 20210524_191948.jpg 20210524_191957.jpg 20210524_191839.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok "built with a bunch of good parts" 4l60 year down has begun! Didn't get as far as I'd like to because .75cent wings at gators was calling my name!

Anyway it's obvious whoever built this didn't understand how gaskets work because more isn't better. Looks like Gobbs and gobbs of RTV over a cork gasket which when quenched pushed pieces of both all into the inside of the trans.

Next evidence found was the pan which was full of what I think is friction material absolutely no metal found so far.

View attachment 280114 View attachment 280115 View attachment 280116 View attachment 280117 View attachment 280118
Holy shit man. That’s a ******* disaster!! ****** ass cork, and then a full ******* tube of RTV..?!?? Good God. I wonder how long it actually lasted like that!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 280114 View attachment 280115 View attachment 280116 View attachment 280117 View attachment 280118
I’ll tell you what Performabuilt told me about RTV on the pan gasket. They said do not EVER use it. I didn’t even use much when I changed filter and fluid on mine but they said it plugged up the servo passages where the fluid drains back into the pan which didn’t allow them to release. These passages are right at the pan rail. This causes a lot of stress on all the hard parts. I noticed it was hitting hard when it shifted especially 1-2. It didn’t take long, maybe 2 months after I changed the fluid, until it did this to the output shaft on a WOT 1-2 shift. I realize I'm throwing down way more power than that truck but they said it destroyed a lot of parts, pretty much grenaded the trans. So I would be suspect with pretty much all the hard parts in that one. There might be stress cracks throughout. BTW, Performabuilt covered this even though it was my fault plus it was a good year past the end of their warranty. It only cost me shipping one way. They're the best in the industry IMO. Love those guys. Ryan said that was a helluva twist fracture! That's AWD with a blower brother!

20200430_134037.jpg

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll tell you what Performabuilt told me about RTV on the pan gasket. They said do not EVER use it. I didn’t even use much when I changed filter and fluid on mine but they said it plugged up the servo passages where the fluid drains back into the pan which didn’t allow them to release. These passages are right at the pan rail. This causes a lot of stress on all the hard parts. I noticed it was hitting hard when it shifted especially 1-2. It didn’t take long, maybe 2 months after I changed the fluid, until it did this to the output shaft on a WOT 1-2 shift. I realize I'm throwing down way more power than that truck but they said it destroyed a lot of parts, pretty much grenaded the trans. So I would be suspect with pretty much all the hard parts in that one. There might be stress cracks throughout. BTW, Performabuilt covered this even though it was my fault plus it was a good year past the end of their warranty. It only cost me shipping one way. They're the best in the industry IMO. Love those guys. Ryan said that was a helluva twist fracture! That's AWD with a blower brother!

View attachment 280140

Awesome info! I had a feeling the rtv caused an issue since it was very shortly after the rebuilt that it completely quit working. The budget does not allow a full hard parts rebuild but I will be inspecting extra carefully since you mentioned it!

That's some sweet carnage I was holding that last night thinking "man it would take some force to break a shaft" guess awd and blower does it!

What's your go to pan gasket now?

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U used this gasket from ebay. Had to go round and round a few times to squish the cork properly but no leaks after 1000 miles so far.

Screenshot_20210525-083840_eBay.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome info! I had a feeling the rtv caused an issue since it was very shortly after the rebuilt that it completely quit working. The budget does not allow a full hard parts rebuild but I will be inspecting extra carefully since you mentioned it!

That's some sweet carnage I was holding that last night thinking "man it would take some force to break a shaft" guess awd and blower does it!

What's your go to pan gasket now?
I’ll never use anything other than Lube Locker on the trans and diff. They’re a bit pricey but well worth it and they’re reusable.
LUBE LOCKER LLT-G4L60

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U used this gasket from ebay. Had to go round and round a few times to squish the cork properly but no leaks after 1000 miles so far.

View attachment 280146

I think that's the one I have already and will probably use for this rebuild.

I’ll never use anything other than Lube Locker on the trans and diff. They’re a bit pricey but well worth it and they’re reusable.
LUBE LOCKER LLT-G4L60

That's what I figured you used, on the next one I do and all future builds I will use this. You have me sold on the lube locker stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10