Ole 2 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll never use anything other than Lube Locker on the trans and diff. They’re a bit pricey but well worth it and they’re reusable.
LUBE LOCKER LLT-G4L60

Wish I would have purchased that one.....wanting to go back in and shim my new 1-2 accumulator. Replaced it with the aluminum one that has a longer shank but I'd like to shim to bottom put even quicker. You think I could reuse my cork gasket that hasn't been on that long?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I would have purchased that one.....wanting to go back in and shim my new 1-2 accumulator. Replaced it with the aluminum one that has a longer shank but I'd like to shim to bottom put even quicker. You think I could reuse my cork gasket that hasn't been on that long?

I wouldn't try to reuse one, why do you want to reshim the accumulator?

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to reuse one, why do you want to reshim the accumulator?

A really cool YT channel I watch - Precision Transmissions - this guy knows his stuff with trans, lots of videos on tearing down 4l60e trans. Unfortunately they hardly do build videos but he goes over a lot of the updates they do and issues when he tears them down.....anyway he always updates the 1-2 accumulator to the longer shank piston, shims them up flush and also puts a 3/8 spacer so the bottom out quicker. Brings the band on quicker, speeds up the shift without making it harsh.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A really cool YT channel I watch - Precision Transmissions - this guy knows his stuff with trans, lots of videos on tearing down 4l60e trans. Unfortunately they hardly do build videos but he goes over a lot of the updates they do and issues when he tears them down.....anyway he always updates the 1-2 accumulator to the longer shank piston, shims them up flush and also puts a 3/8 spacer so the bottom out quicker. Brings the band on quicker, speeds up the shift without making it harsh.

Goot to know I will have to check out some of his videos.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you can’t reuse a cork one. They only squish once lol.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we are talking about things we shouldn't do, I will spill my dirty secret that has been bothering my consciousness. I installed my Tcase and took it back apart a week later to install my shifting bracket saw it had a tiny amount of oil in the adapter space, but it wasn't synchromesh from the trans but ATF from the Tcase, Which should be sealed by the inputshaft seal. Well, I thought about replacing it but when I was removing the front cover where the seal is installed, I felt all the bolts were hand tightened and not torqued. So I said F***IT! And just tightened them and called it good. In hindsight I should have removed the cover and re applied RTV to it, but I think there is enought RTV not fully crushed that I crushed when I tightened the 4 bolts that hold it in place. I know you all probably cringe at that but the leak was minor to begin with so I think it was just drops getting by the loose bolts. I will check the level on the next oil change and verify it sealed. I did this because being on my back holding a tcase on my back while trying to replace/clean the surfaces was painful at the time so did all I could for what I had. If it leaves me stranded I will make a post so you all make fun of me. Or I will hear rocks before it happens roll the dice!

I enjoy watching precision transmissions, I will probably give my old 60e a shot with transmission bench first though and maybe learn a new skill.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get those clutch modules apart! The suspense is killing me.

Gasket, I just use the rubber type (like $4 upgrade with your rebuild kit). I hate cork gaskets.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, @iamdub here's some pics of the pump, it has the connector on it so I believe it's the one you need.

Got the clutch packs apart and dug about as deep as I think I need to for this basic refresh. I can tell the frictions and steels got hot and a few of the frictions are warped a tad, still have a few things to inspect before I make my part list, @pwtr02ss is keeping me in line.

20210526_195558.jpg 20210526_191114.jpg 20210526_195606.jpg 20210526_191650.jpg 20210526_190240.jpg

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tyler's the tranny boi here, so he'd know for sure if it is. My guess is it is cuz I doubt they'd have multiple types. I'll PM you.

You two will also need to exchange some "shaft" photos...both, pull the rotor and veins out of the pump and check for excessive wear. Light scratches are to be expected. Also, need to trade harnesses.

I have done absolutely zero research on this. The harness and pump are the only things I noticed when we did mine.