Old Suburban Guy Hoping to Become a New Yukon Guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
A bit of a complicated story, but I’m currently on the prowl for a new Yukon Denali. My everyday driver is a Jeep Rubicon 4xe, which has been a darned good vehicle, but my wife decided a few months ago to enter into a joint venture with our son to buy an Airstream Basecamp 20X. The weight of the Airstream is right at the limits of the Jeep, so we’ve been towing it with our ‘04 Suburban.

The Suburban is in good shape, but I need…okay, make that want…something with more power and modern conveniences. The Yukon Denali checks all the boxes for me, so the Jeep and the Suburban will be going.

I’ve identified a few possibilities at nearby dealerships, so I’ll soon know how willing they are to negotiate; it’s been a while since I’ve paid above invoice for a vehicle. If anyone out there in TahoeYukonForumland has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

No pics of my (hopeful) new ride, so here are the ones that’ll soon be leaving….5D3A9726-8190-4502-BACC-9E9205AE2988.jpeg18843A4B-011A-460F-9AB3-CB9269504F7C.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider the Yukon XL as the longer wheelbase will tow better and of course offers much more interior room for the passengers and storage.

Make sure you check all the boxes for towing and towing features. We've seen too many fellas on here go out and buy a truck only to learn that it was not equipped for maximum towing.

OP
OP
MikeBoom

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Consider the Yukon XL as the longer wheelbase will tow better and of course offers much more interior room for the passengers and storage.

Make sure you check all the boxes for towing and towing features. We've seen too many fellas on here go out and buy a truck only to learn that it was not equipped for maximum towing.
I’m aware of this, but our situation is complicated by the fact that we own two homes and go back and forth fairly often. At our Wisconsin home we have enough parking space (a pole barn), but we also spend time at our townhouse in the Chicago suburbs. The XL is too large for our suburban garage and outdoor parking is not feasible—or at least something I’d do with a $100K vehicle—since vandalism and theft are an issue there.

Also, good point on making sure it’s properly optioned.
Why not have your son buy the tow vehicle and save yours for the adventure
I’ve given some consideration to that. In either case I’ll be selling the ’04 Suburban. As I mentioned above, we have a pole barn, but with the amount of toys and equipment I have it would wise to reduce our vehicle count a bit. And, while I really like the Jeep, the truth is that I have yet to do any serious off-roading with it. My thought process is that a Yukon, properly outfitted, could check the boxes of giving me adequate off-road/bad weather capability, while still making a good tow vehicle.

But, thanks for your questions nonetheless. I‘m still noodling through all this, and it helps to hear others’ thoughts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.