Oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Fless, I use the extended Wix filter, 51522XP. I was using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, and about a year ago switched to the AC Delco Full Synthetic. Very happy with both of these. Get a decent quality synthetic in my opinion, and the best filter you can. It’s not too much $$, for the best I’m aware of. The filters are are very important. Definitely don’t use that Fram crap.

ETA: I’m at 215k. I get about 3oz in the catch can every 3k interval, and usually add 1/2 qt. oil. My wife’s 2014 Accord with 90k started burning oil recently. 2k in, and I just added a full qt. Never, ever would have seen that coming. Time to trade in..

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I switched my Hoe with around 150k to fully synthetic when I got her with no problems. Currently using Penz Platinum but I do plan on switching to Amsoil Signature series when I get through my supply. I like the Wix as mentioned but the K&N filters are also good quality.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a 2004 Yukon SLE. It has 155k miles on the 5.3l. Previous owner bought it new and has used Halvoline conventional and Fram oil filters in it. I know that I am going to swap to a different filter but was wondering if it would hurt to swap to a blend or full synthetic or if I should just stick with synthetic. Also what oil filter would you all recommend? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Often times when a person switches a motor over from conventional to synthetic, the new oil breaks up all the sludge and can cause problems such as blocked oil passages as the gunk makes it way into the oil pan. We sometimes had oil leaks spring up where none existed before. How do we know if there is sludge to begin with?

As for oil filters, mine is betterer then everyone else's! We used FRAMs for decades without a problem but have other favorites now. I might need new favorite as they jacked up the price on the ones I like to $15 each! But like I said, it's the best in the world! LOL

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one old guy's opinion based on about 60 years of changing my own oil.......

Whenever I switched an older vehicle from conventional oil to full synthetic I almost immediately got oil leaks. Some of the vehicles recovered when switched back, and others did not. I made the mistake of blindly following general opinions on the subject of the superiority of synthetic oils. There is always skepticism about causing leaks from the synthetic fans but if you are unfortunate and have it happen you'll have a different point of view. I do not press the interval of oil changes like synthetic oil claims promote so the advantages to me are questionable, although I do keep vehicles that came with or are spec'd to use synthetic oil on their same path. When I drain conventional or synthetic oils at the same intervals, they both look like they needed it.

The change would not be worth the risk to me.

PS: On filters, GM chose AC Delco. They are not expensive and leave just one less thing to worry about (for me). Instinctively, I can imagine that altering the filtering can affect the flow rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10