Oil Pressure....Should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
I was just looking for a second opinion on something.......I just recently re powered with a stock Vortec. Put a few thousand miles on her and things are starting to settle in.

One concern I have is that my oil pressure is freakishly high......at least way higher than it was before the re power. I know its new engine and tight but I just want to be sure.

first start in the morning cold (Florida Cold) its sitting around 72-76 PSI. I have no doubt that if I applied a load to it it would peg at 80psi.

Once up to operating temp a steady 60-64 psi.

Idle 40 psi straight up.

This is certainly higher than it ever has been in the 18 or 19 years I've had this truck.

So is that an acceptable PSI range or is something off by chance?

Cheers

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Low pressure is what you want to be afraid of more. It should be fine. I had no oil pressure at stop before I rebuilt my 350 and it ran fine. Right now I run higher then half

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a bypass valve to prevent oil pressure from getting to high? I run around 55ish or so at cold start, and after it's all warmed up it stays around 25ish or so.

I have another question about oil pressure. Mine generally takes a couple of seconds upon starting to get up to pressure. Do you see the same? I run a Mobil 1 Oil Filter and thought it would have an anti-drainback valve. Maybe not though.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Well it should be normal since the oil is down when not on and then starts moving around building pressure mine goes up to pressure quick but I also have about 10k miles on the new motor. I run synthetic in quaker state and dont recall what filters name is. It's the orange one lol. No idea on the anti drain back valve

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my new motor stays at about 55psi. i have about 4500 miles on it and its done it ever since i put it in

97Tahoe2d4x

Reaction score
Try verifying the oil pressure by plumbing in a mechanical pressure gauge, make sure that your in dash pressure gauge is not lying to you.

My 97 with 257K now only get 40 to 50 psi driving around and 20 or so idling in gear. Used to be 60 and 40 in idle when I got the truck long time ago......getting old.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not broken in fully, there should be a bypass to prevent that high of a pressure ... when I lived in New England I switched oils for the winter to a thinner blend.

OP
OP
2DR4EVR

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
I hoping on your theory retorq. Since I underwent this I have a slew of problems that I wish on no man. My gas mileage has been in the gutter since the swap to.

Picked up a scan gauge which I'm really digging to monitor everything.....and its all within parameters. It just bothers me a little when I see that Oil press gauge that high. I'm worried to load it up if I ever had to.

the gauge could be tweaked a little. My fuel gauge monotors on a whole new scale now. Before it would go way past F and really go down once below half. Now, it stops right on F and I run it into the red....which is when I would stop and fill up and it would take a full tank. Now at the same point it only takes 21-23 gallons. So i know there's 5 still floating in there. Got to get used to it.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling, when I replaced my gauges I put the fuel needle a little below where it was supposed to go cause I had that same "beyond full" issue and hated it. Now when its in the middle of the red it's starts stalling at hard stops and big turns so I know it's time to pull in and get some gas lol.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about your current pressures. My Ls with 130k on it still hit's 70 on cold start and idles about 35-40. Highway speeds it's about 60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper