Oil Pressure Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the oil pan gasket on my 2000 Tahoe Limited. On the passenger side of the engine, just above the pan, there is a sensor that also appears to be leaking. Is that the Pressure switch. My googling found people replacing an oil pressure switch on the top of the engine. But, maybe my googling skills are off.

I'll try to snap a photo in the morning. Was getting late tonight and forgot to.

Thanks,

Matt
What brand Gasket are you using

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a 350, right? I’m having a senior moment and cannot get my bearings in your photo, but they use a knock sensor in the block near the starter.

They can be quickly swapped out without losing too much coolant.

32346013aaf77deaae130478d2fd1387.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, a knock sensor. My photo is taken with the starter removed.

So the knock sensor is in the coolant too?

Well I ordered the level sensor today. May need to return that then.

Truck has 206k on it. Doing the pan gasket, second one that wouldnt seal at the front. Also putting on an aluminum timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat and hoses. The hoses and thermostat were last changed around 6 years ago.

I'm debating a new radiator, pretty sure it's original, but doesn't leak, and the truck has never run hot. But, it's going to be pulling daily driver duty again while I fix another car.

Then down the line will be a full suspension refresh, it needs it.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand Gasket are you using ? Part Number ?[/QUOTE

OEM AC Delco. I could not get the felpro to seal. I think the RTV doesnt adhere to well. The AC Delco seems to be a more conventional rubber where as I think the felpro was silicone. I want to stop painting my driveway ha ha

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, a knock sensor. My photo is taken with the starter removed.

So the knock sensor is in the coolant too?

Well I ordered the level sensor today. May need to return that then.

Truck has 206k on it. Doing the pan gasket, second one that wouldnt seal at the front. Also putting on an aluminum timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat and hoses. The hoses and thermostat were last changed around 6 years ago.

I'm debating a new radiator, pretty sure it's original, but doesn't leak, and the truck has never run hot. But, it's going to be pulling daily driver duty again while I fix another car.

Then down the line will be a full suspension refresh, it needs it.
Torque spec for the knock sensor is 14 ft-lbs, so it doesn’t take much. Mine came with thread compound already on it. No need to drain the coolant if you’re quick enough.

a8b1ced9cdfa0e7502e0e3bfc5a2821b.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already draining the coolant for the timing chain cover and the water pump. So not a concern there.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM AC Delco. I could not get the felpro to seal. I think the RTV doesnt adhere to well. The AC Delco seems to be a more conventional rubber where as I think the felpro was silicone. I want to stop painting my driveway ha ha
FELPRO makes quality gaskets. They are the gaskets Professionals use just like it says on the label.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FelPro is every bit as good as OE. They are the Gaskets Professionals use just like it says on the label.

Concur, I have used them in many applications. The one I took off was leaking at the front, and there was RTV there. I researched this a bunch, and Felpro recommends no RTV. I installed a new one with no RTV and it still leaked.

I believe the felpro gasket is silicone, but I can't confirm this. And getting things to stick to silicone can be difficult. It could be the original one that was leaking did not use a silicone based RTV, and that was the issue.

I also saw a lot of recommendations that the OEM one is better in this particular application. And it may be that people have had better luck as it appears to be a nitrile, or non silicone rubber. So I'm hopeful that the third time is the charm, this time using the OEM gasket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9