Oil pressure help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekfire07

Reaction score
I am getting a oil pressure alarm after the the truck is running and warmed up. 2009 5.3l 158420 milage. After running oil pressure shows 19 psi then will drop slowly. When I see it dropping and hit the gas pressure comes up but then drops and alarm goes off. Let it sit and restart go through the same. Looking for any help.
Thanks in advance.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the basics, maybe get the oil and filter changed and change the oil pressure sensor and take it from there

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a cracked oil pickup tube o-ring? Overfill the engine by 2 qts. With engine fully warmed up, park it nose down or raise the rear. If the problem goes away you've found the problem.
o-ring.JPG

If not, use 20-50 oil and see what results you get.

In case you didn't know? The first # of an oil is an indication of its viscosity at 40 degrees Celsius. The second # is an indication of its viscosity at 100 degree Celsius.

viscosity charts.jpg

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Like above stated
Start with the oil pressure sensor or screen under it
Change the oil and filter
And if neither fix it the 0 ring is probably your culprit
I believe I’m about to have to go through the same thing because I checked my oil pressure last week on the scanner and it was anywhere between 15-19lbs idling 25lbs flooring it but it don’t have any lifter tap but I don’t want to wait for it to go boom neither. Its always something

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like above stated
Start with the oil pressure sensor or screen under it
Change the oil and filter
And if neither fix it the 0 ring is probably your culprit
I believe I’m about to have to go through the same thing because I checked my oil pressure last week on the scanner and it was anywhere between 15-19lbs idling 25lbs flooring it but it don’t have any lifter tap but I don’t want to wait for it to go boom neither. Its always something

^^^ This. Don't forget to change the sender's filter screen if you do the sender.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I did that oil pressure sensor and screen, I have a post here somewhere on the job, it was a son of b but it solved my issues.

The Key is the correct wrench setup.
I’ve done it with a 2-3” extension with a swivel and a 6-8” one to get the ratchet where you can work it.
This past time I just used the 6-8” extension it was tight but manageable.
If you don’t hack that corner of the “noise shield” off the intake it is a mfer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar