Oil pressure fluctuations at steady hwy speed and rpm. Ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine will fluctuate some but not necessarily like that, much more slowly or when it's all warmed up and I come to a stop it will go down anywhere from 40 down to just a hair over 20 but then goes back up again when driving.
not to raise any concern without hard evidence but mine "was" doing that when the cam took a dump. it would move around like that and more and drop to about 10 psi and throw a cel.
could maybe be the oil pump pickup tube/seal, funky oil pressure sensor
or maybe some just wiggle
might even be electrical, check the grounds and battery cables

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine will fluctuate some but not necessarily like that, much more slowly or when it's all warmed up and I come to a stop it will go down anywhere from 40 down to just a hair over 20 but then goes back up again when driving.
not to raise any concern without hard evidence but mine "was" doing that when the cam took a dump. it would move around like that and more and drop to about 10 psi and throw a cel.
could maybe be the oil pump pickup tube/seal, funky oil pressure sensor
or maybe some just wiggle
might even be electrical, check the grounds and battery cables
Cam like broke or just wore out? When it went did it damage more stuff when it took dump? 173k here. I want to afm delete and maybe a light cam... but not really in the plans this moment.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam like broke or just wore out? When it went did it damage more stuff when it took dump? 173k here. I want to afm delete and maybe a light cam... but not really in the plans this moment.
typically the oil tube pick up ring is the know problem with these but...
when I bought mine used from a gmc dealership I luckily had purchased a warranty I flew and picked it up in las vegas and drove it home 7 hours.
on the way home I noticed the oil pressure going all coocoo but it ran fine and didn't throw any codes or anything, so after I got it home a couple weeks later I took it to the local dealer to have them check it out. they initially said it was probably the sensor (not under warranty) and so I said well go ahead and check to be sure so they manually tested it with a gauge instead and had the same results so they said it must be the oil pump but they would have to order one and said I could come pick it up and drive it until the parts came in, so went and go it and said I was taking a trip about 400 miles each way and did they think it was ok to drive it, sure you can drive it.........
so I did and on the way there the pressure dropped once to 10psi and threw a code, so I reset it and kept going, then on the way back it did the same thing a couple times and I just said screw resetting it and drove it home.
when I took it back to the dealer to have the oil pump fixed/replaced or whatever they were going to do they said when they pulled the pan they found a chunk of metal stuck in the pump. they said the cam took a dump and it needs a new engine.
so in the end I had the warranty which covered a rebuilt motor and I kicked in the extra cost $1000 and optioned for a new crate motor instead.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see where you stated the parts replacement already, you might want to check to see if it is electrical and not sure exactly what that requires perhaps a ohm test
maybe monitor the oil pressure with a scanner and see if it is giving the same results

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typically the oil tube pick up ring is the know problem with these but...
when I bought mine used from a gmc dealership I luckily had purchased a warranty I flew and picked it up in las vegas and drove it home 7 hours.
on the way home I noticed the oil pressure going all coocoo but it ran fine and didn't throw any codes or anything, so after I got it home a couple weeks later I took it to the local dealer to have them check it out. they initially said it was probably the sensor (not under warranty) and so I said well go ahead and check to be sure so they manually tested it with a gauge instead and had the same results so they said it must be the oil pump but they would have to order one and said I could come pick it up and drive it until the parts came in, so went and go it and said I was taking a trip about 400 miles each way and did they think it was ok to drive it, sure you can drive it.........
so I did and on the way there the pressure dropped once to 10psi and threw a code, so I reset it and kept going, then on the way back it did the same thing a couple times and I just said screw resetting it and drove it home.
when I took it back to the dealer to have the oil pump fixed/replaced or whatever they were going to do they said when they pulled the pan they found a chunk of metal stuck in the pump. they said the cam took a dump and it needs a new engine.
so in the end I had the warranty which covered a rebuilt motor and I kicked in the extra cost $1000 and optioned for a new crate motor instead.
Ohh damn. OK maybe I'll look in to speeding up my afm delete.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see where you stated the parts replacement already, you might want to check to see if it is electrical and not sure exactly what that requires perhaps a ohm test
maybe monitor the oil pressure with a scanner and see if it is giving the same results
I did and it does but the number were a bit higher on the scanner than the gauge. What looked like 35 on the gauge was reading like 42 on scanner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700