Oil pressure dropping at idle......help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe, 5.3, almost 150,000 miles.

Symptoms: after a cold start my oil pressure drops to nothing sitting at idle. Goes back to normal when driving. Only last until engine warms up. Drops to zero, check oil pressure light comes on and a very loud tapping. No leaks, burns about a quart of oil a month, use royal purple synthetic.

Any help would be appreciated.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your hearing a loud tapping when it drops id stop driving the truck NOW. probably failed oil pump

OP
OP
Robert.K

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have, but I was told by an salty mechanic that if it was my oil pump, that it would have seized by now. Been doing this off and on for about a month. Been riding my Harley until I could get it fix, but it's in the shop and now this is my transportation. You think it might be the oil pump sensor?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Its either the pumo ir the bearings. My bearings where out and it did that. It happened becahse my shit mechanic dry started it

OP
OP
Robert.K

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. Well I guess it's bite the bullet time...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dberdusco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gm bulletin for defective oring on oil pump pickup.... The symptoms are what you just described...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62