Oil pickup tube o ring change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
CobraKing,

Thanks for the advice.

If the gasket is reusable with good condition, should RTV be applied on both side of the old gasket as "reinforcement"?

In my experience, RTV should only be used "sparingly" where there may be a void/corner to aid in sealing a potential gap. If you apply RTV of any color to both sides of that gasket the excess that squeezes into the interior of the pan will eventually find it's way to the oil pickup tube screen. In many ways it is a "snake oil" sealer with short lived results if it comes in contact with oil/fuel. Clean flat surfaces with correct torque is what seals mating surfaces. There are sealants that are designd for fuel/oil wet environments but they are not RTV.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. They are orings.. a far superior seal to any silicone. I still see old time mechanics all the time backing up orings with sealant. You are only hurting things if the oring is still healthy.
Like you said, a few little beads in the joints, and that's it. If the oring has flattened,torn, or distorted, change it.

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CobraKing,

Thanks for the advice.

If the gasket is reusable with good condition, should RTV be applied on both side of the old gasket as "reinforcement"?
NO!!!!! Do yourself the favor and pay the $29 for a new gasket. I mean yes you can reuse them but for that little amount of money and you already have it apart.....

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CobraKing,

Thanks for the advice.

@jz57 That could work if the gasket is non-OEM and not not held in place with rivets. But I highly recommend what @Ponchonutty said and install a new gasket.

If you're DIYing this job, it's not complex by any means but definitely tedious and the oil pan is held in place with 14 bolts, on top of the other components that you will need to unbolt and remove.

I'd spend the extra money and get it done right.

Baddawg

Reaction score
I think this job is in my future, probably not real urgent, my oil pressure is about 25# at idle, maybe 42# at 2500 RPM.
It sounds like a big job for me to do but I can probably get it done, might be able to buy some help from a local mechanic.

... anyone close to Denver that wants to do the job for less than dealer prices?

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm one step closer....just ordered the new oring and new oil pan gasket.....there shouldnt be any additional parts that I need right?

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm one step closer....just ordered the new oring and new oil pan gasket.....there shouldnt be any additional parts that I need right?

At the risk of sounding like mr. Obvious, an oil filter and oil! Ha

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 4 spots that require a bit of RTV sealant, 2 where the front cover gasket meets the block and the same where the rear cover gasket meets the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n