Oil pickup tube o ring change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1431E181-EF4C-434A-898B-13B7ED3B4EF7.jpeg DDF86D62-A3F4-4918-82E3-D260CF15A7C5.jpeg 57206EDF-B52A-407F-AC00-AD2269B71760.jpeg 2C65133D-A8A2-4914-85B9-0C8D6E92BE70.jpeg This was one of the things I’ve put off doing to my 08 Denali. I told the buyer of it I would have it done before handing over the keys. Really wasn’t bad at all. I’m pissed at GM saying my oil pressure is was within spec before I changed it when I knew it couldn’t be. I mean my Camaro SS basically has the same 6.2 engine and it always ran 20psi higher. Was impressed with a 210k mile engine as clean as it was in the pan. I guess frequent Amsoil changes helped. O-ring was significantly worn and actually split when I slid it off. Anyways now at cold idle I have 45 psi and have 65 at highway speeds. Hot idle is around 27 and hot highway is 44psi.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually I need to do mine, same vehicle, '08 Denali, almost same mileage. But, for now, my pressure is ok so it hasn't been an urgent priority. 40 cold idle, about 17-18 hot idle.

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually I need to do mine, same vehicle, '08 Denali, almost same mileage. But, for now, my pressure is ok so it hasn't been an urgent priority. 40 cold idle, about 17-18 hot idle.
Mine rattled when first started and was loud when it was cold for the first 3-5 seconds. Now it’s completely quiet

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Does the drop of the front diff by a “few inches” stated by the manual take more than you expected? Heard about some folks who have more trouble with that part than they expected.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the drop of the front diff by a “few inches” stated by the manual take more than you expected? Heard about some folks who have more trouble with that part than they expected.

I only take the pan out if it needs a pan gasket. If it's all dry, just loosen off all the pan bolts and plastic wedge the front of the pan down a bit to access the pickup tube bolt, pile in a rag into the opening incase you drop the bolt, then lay a magnet below the bolt and try really hard to not drop it.
Done it a dozen times that way and never lost the bolt nor had any leaks after.
No diff lowering or anything.

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely removed mine. Made it a snap. I did use two floor jacks and another hand to help wedge it back up in place.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace oil pan gasket while you did O-Ring replacing?

This was one of the things I’ve put off doing to my 08 Denali. I told the buyer of it I would have it done before handing over the keys. Really wasn’t bad at all. I’m pissed at GM saying my oil pressure is was within spec before I changed it when I knew it couldn’t be. I mean my Camaro SS basically has the same 6.2 engine and it always ran 20psi higher. Was impressed with a 210k mile engine as clean as it was in the pan. I guess frequent Amsoil changes helped. O-ring was significantly worn and actually split when I slid it off. Anyways now at cold idle I have 45 psi and have 65 at highway speeds. Hot idle is around 27 and hot highway is 44psi.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jz57 The factory installed gasket is held in place with rivets to the pan, so you might want to replace it as it could bend/warp during removal. If you've had it replaced before then you could be OK with reusing it if you take care to evenly tighten all the bolts in an X pattern.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CobraKing,

Thanks for the advice.

If the gasket is reusable with good condition, should RTV be applied on both side of the old gasket as "reinforcement"?

@jz57 The factory installed gasket is held in place with rivets to the pan, so you might want to replace it as it could bend/warp during removal. If you've had it replaced before then you could be OK with reusing it if you take care to evenly tighten all the bolts in an X pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman