Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bikeboy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a tough question to ask without seeing it but here goes...
I noticed a slow oil leak showing up at the back of the oil pan and am trying to narrow down possible locations that it could be coming from. I know the oil pan gasket could be one place but could there be a likely place higher up? I don't see any thing on the sides of the engine around or above the exhaust manifolds. Could it be coming from the top of the block between the heads?

I'm just trying to get an idea of Likely places before I start pulling thing apart.

Thanks

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but its almost likely your rear main seal. I just did mine when I rebuilt my tranny, mine wasn't leaking, but I figured since I was there.... Anyway, my last Tahoe had a rear main seal leak like crazy. There wasnt any fluid on the torque converter, and I knew it was not the intake gasket.

Check around your oil filter, and if you have oil cooler lines, check them out as well.

Good luck with your search.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with rear main, but to get a better idea, lay a clean piece of cardboard under the truck overnight. thatll help narrow down the location, and what type of fluid it is. dirty trans fluid looks just like oil when its dripped all over concrete

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a plate that houses the rear main seal. I've changed a few of those gaskets. I've changed the rear main seal at the same time but the seals were never leaking. The leak was from the cover gasket.

OP
OP
B

Bikeboy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with rear main, but to get a better idea, lay a clean piece of cardboard under the truck overnight. thatll help narrow down the location, and what type of fluid it is. dirty trans fluid looks just like oil when its dripped all over concrete

It is such a slow leak right now it won't actually drip, it hangs right on the oil drain bolt.

I know the leaks can be very deceiving. I had some spotting on the driveway last year an I would have sworn to you it was the trans leaking! It actually ended Up being the water pump on its way out and was leaking coolant from the weap hole, hitting the skid plate and running to the back and dripping on to the ground.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the flywheel area through that big peep hole in the bell housing. The round metal cover just snaps off. If the inside is dry, you can "almost" rule out rear main seal or rear cover. In no particular order, common oil leak areas include valve covers, oil pressure sending unit, Intake manifold "valley" cover gasket, oil filter housing, oil pan, rear main and rear engine cover. Somewhere in the tech section was a nice write up on this subject, http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34764.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
B

Bikeboy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will take a look in the bell housing.

As I was reading the thread that was linked, my worst fear was brought up. Chasing an infamous leak and replacing every gasket on an engine with 150k on it. Also if I have to disconnect the trans should I be doing a full service and/or rebuild on it. I just don't want it to become a giant can of worms, that I might have been better off leaving alone and occasionally just adding oil to make up for the leak?:emotions122:

dorisk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah it's usually the main seal, but just put cardboard under it and you'll find out where it is.

Last edited:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is such a slow leak right now it won't actually drip, it hangs right on the oil drain bolt.

I

A leak is a leak and nothing fixes itself, but if you can slide clean cardboard under your truck and it wont leave one drop overnight, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just keep an eye on it, when you change your oil.

OP
OP
B

Bikeboy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A leak is a leak and nothing fixes itself, but if you can slide clean cardboard under your truck and it wont leave one drop overnight, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just keep an eye on it, when you change your oil.

I get it, I do know that where I park it in the drive way there are no spots of anything. I will keep any eye on it, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076