Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it, I do know that where I park it in the drive way there are no spots of anything. I will keep any eye on it, thanks.

I can appreciate taking care of the vehicle, I have a couple friends that give me trouble about doing routine maintenance. In this case, just know it might be a problem and keep an eye out. I hope not, but you never know if someone will steal your truck, total it out, etc, for one reason or another it is gone and you took the transmission out to replace a leak that any other person would never even notice.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the flywheel area through that big peep hole in the bell housing. The round metal cover just snaps off. If the inside is dry, you can "almost" rule out rear main seal or rear cover. In no particular order, common oil leak areas include valve covers, oil pressure sending unit, Intake manifold "valley" cover gasket, oil filter housing, oil pan, rear main and rear engine cover. Somewhere in the tech section was a nice write up on this subject, http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34764.

Hope that helps.

The inside of my bellhousing was dry and it was the rear main and/or rear cover gasket. I had two mechanics look at it and they couldn't tell where it was coming from. Its a ***** to diagnose.

I changed my oil pan gasket first, then the intake set (removed the intake to check the oil pressure sensor seal), then finally the valve covers. Still leaked. Ended up pulling the transmission on Christmas Eve and changed the rear seal/gasket set. Hasn't leaked a single drop since then (15K miles). The only seal I've not changed on the engine is the front main and that is a piece of cake compared to the rear. Might do that one if and when I have to do the water pump. I was lucky that I'm able to do everything myself so it only costs me time and parts. That would suck to have to pay shop rates while they figure out what is leaking.

DSC04272Medium.jpg

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed

If you think that was a pain try doing it on a C5 Corvette. Now that's fun. Lol

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed

If you think that was a pain try doing it on a C5 Corvette. Now that's fun. Lol

Mine was easy- just time consuming. 2WD truck, borrowed a friends lift in his shop. Really couldn't have been easier (except for fighting with reinstallation of the tranny cooler line clips and the dipstick tube)..... These trucks are remarkably easy to work on.

Yeah, doing that job on a vette.... good luck to ya!

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lift is a must. Working together a buddy and I can pull a 2wd tranny in 45 minutes.

Now the Vette was a different story. The rear tires are the first thing you take off.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate taking care of the vehicle, I have a couple friends that give me trouble about doing routine maintenance. In this case, just know it might be a problem and keep an eye out. I hope not, but you never know if someone will steal your truck, total it out, etc, for one reason or another it is gone and you took the transmission out to replace a leak that any other person would never even notice.

So sad, but true.