Oh crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil sample is taken no less than 20-30 minutes after the engine is shut down. Usually they don't want the oil when it first comes out because it's from the bottom of the pan, and that's the dirtiest (Slag). Just too much going on to get a true reading because everything is wearing out. Usually you wait until the "Slag" clears, then take a small (3-5 oz.), clean glass jar and fill it half to 3/4 full. Tighten the cap and send it off to the lab. The process is called Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program or SOAP. They burn the oil at a extremely high temperature and record the colors that appear in the flame. Different metals give off different colors when burned. All oil has metal particles and the flame looks like a rainbow, but if certain colors are present in abnormal abundance then that color is recorded and matched to the corresponding metal. Let's say there's too much blue in the sample and blue corresponds with a certain highly corrosion resistant steel. Then you look for whatever item in your engine is made of that material. Trouble comes when there's more than one item in your engine made from that material. But it does help you narrow it down to those items and helps you eliminate others. Hope this helps. Aloha!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil sample is taken no less than 20-30 minutes after the engine is shut down. Usually they don't want the oil when it first comes out because it's from the bottom of the pan, and that's the dirtiest (Slag). Just too much going on to get a true reading because everything is wearing out. Usually you wait until the "Slag" clears, then take a small (3-5 oz.), clean glass jar and fill it half to 3/4 full. Tighten the cap and send it off to the lab. The process is called Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program or SOAP. They burn the oil at a extremely high temperature and record the colors that appear in the flame. Different metals give off different colors when burned. All oil has metal particles and the flame looks like a rainbow, but if certain colors are present in abnormal abundance then that color is recorded and matched to the corresponding metal. Let's say there's too much blue in the sample and blue corresponds with a certain highly corrosion resistant steel. Then you look for whatever item in your engine is made of that material. Trouble comes when there's more than one item in your engine made from that material. But it does help you narrow it down to those items and helps you eliminate others. Hope this helps. Aloha!
That’s not what Blackstone does. Their report lists every ingredient in the sample in parts per million and compares normal rates with engines of similar mileages and takes into account all sorts of variables. They then give you an explanation of your sample and if they see abnormal wear in things like bearings or aluminum as well as if they see evidence of things like coolant or other contamination in the oil. It’s extremely detailed and they keep a record so as you send samples in over time they can compare to see if things change.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
That’s not what Blackstone does. Their report lists every ingredient in the sample in parts per million and compares normal rates with engines of similar mileages and takes into account all sorts of variables. They then give you an explanation of your sample and if they see abnormal wear in things like bearings or aluminum as well as if they see evidence of things like coolant or other contamination in the oil. It’s extremely detailed and they keep a record so as you send samples in over time they can compare to see if things change.
Exactly. I was reading about burning the oil and was thinking, not Blackstone. My sample from my dirtymax. And I always give them the first part of the oil drain. I want to know the worst of the worst but it always comes back with a clean bill of health.
4f7fadce839390edda3a09823a2d6167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts