Odd surging issue now coolant in the oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Yes those are engine codes. I didn't see a abs light come on but the bulb could be burnt out also. The codes should for the tps, o2, and egr, correct me if I am wrong. I did check out the tps and that guy checks out good. I was bang on the tps pretty good to get it to screw up and she was fine. Wire look good are there any known wear points in the wiring harnes?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes. so you ran the tps thru its entire range and the electrical change was totally smooth? the o2 one, do you know how many wires attach to it please?

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Yep it ran smooth as a baby's butt as I was tapping it with 7/8 wrench. The o2 has three wires a pink, purple and black that looks like it goes to a factory connector and not some modified aftermarket connector. If the egr system isn't working right would it set the other two DTCs ? I didn't get a chance to check the egr system yet.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
here is the sheets for 13 and 22. still need your egr type for 32. work these two and clean the egr valve. if there is faulty o2 sensor then fixing that fault and/or cleaning the egr valve may clear out each other but it will not fix an electrical issue with the tps.

Attachments

• gmt400 1995 dtc 13.pdf
    113.2 KB · Views: 1
  • gmt400 1995 dtc 22.pdf
    103.2 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
I got Bad news and good news. It is a Negative port EGR and the previous owner removed the EGR solenoid completely along with the vacuum lines.

The Bad news is I have the smell of fuel coming from my radiator cap when you open it and low oil pressure now. No tell tale signs of coolant in the OIL. I am assuming the head gasket is shot at this point. Which i might as well just rebuild the motor. But I have sitting in my driveway right now a 1996 Tahoe with the Vortec motor with about 100K miles on that the interior is trashed. I was thinking of swapping the motors but I know the Vortec Intake will not work on the TBI and I am not sure what other surprises would be in store for me. Can I put a Vortec motor into the 95 and just get a different intake for the TBI to sit on. Or Do I gut the PCM and all the Computers out of the 96 and swap it into the 95?

Has Anyone done this before? At this point I would love to have the extra HP.

All Advise and Opinions are welcome at this point. Also I prefer to have older vehicles. They are easier to work on.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you can swap the entire vortec powertrain system along with sensors, exhaust, fuel system and computer equipment, engine compartment a/c equipment to upgrade the '95 with more hp and torque then the tbi has. you can take just about all of the interior, and i say just about because a few things you will not move over, and clean up the vortec vehicle. that would be easier if you did not have to move the dash as well.you can take the vortec short block and put the tbi heads on it and replace the older block in the '95. mani are out there to but may require extra egr oand/or cooling system by-pass work.

However run a compression test on the cylinders first. what kind of before/after pressure we talking about. how quick was the change? when the engine is running the should be no way raw fuel should get in the cooling system. exhaust fumes yes if a head or gasket is cracked. what do all the fluids look like? look of spark plugs as well please.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Sun you must be reading my mind. I did a compression check on the old girl right when i got home before i saw your post. and all the cylinders are holding 150 psi or better. The rear passager side cylinder #8 plug has abnormal deposits on the plug brownish white in color. The rest of them look like normal plugs that have been in there for 12,000 miles nice lite brown color in the center. I am thinking i'll throw a set of plugs in her and check the coolant in a day and see if I am still get the gas smell from inside the rad. The fuilds look just like they should. The oil is a bit on the dark side but I figuring that I am clean up the inside of the block a bit. I am going to drain it and see what comes out.

As for the 96 I would so fix that one up except the local PD used it to train the K9 unit so literally the whole interior is completely missing you should see what they did to the doors..... plus it is only a 2 door, where as the 95 is a 4 door and I got 3 kids that like to ride with me all the time. And the body and frame on the 95 is smoking nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honda 01

Latest posts