Odd surging issue now coolant in the oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
I'll get you pictures of the dog mobile tomorrow. It been a bit crazy around the house we had a death in the family. But here are pics of the spark plugs the front of the vehicle is at the top of the picture. Let me know what you think.

Cheese20160123_175642.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
cylinder 2 and 3 look to new and 6 and 7 looked like they have oil contamination or are to rich. others seem normal. perhaps you can get a close up of each one when you have time.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Well guys here are some close ups of the plugs. 7 and 6 look like they are indeed running rich or they have oil on them. 6 also looks like something knocked the electrode closed. Wondering if I accidentally put the plug in that way since I had one of the kids helping me do the tune up when I brought it home.

20160124_110414.jpg
20160124_110326.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Well boys I found coolant in the oil...I pull the distrubutor so I could check the end play in the shaft and I know my uncle had a bad gear on the bottom of his one time. So I figured it only takes a few minutes and I can get a good look into the block. Here is what I found. Looks like the coolant hasn't gotten that far. Opinions on full rebuild or just throw a gasket set on and do a couple short oil changes?

Yea I saw that the distrubutor is a reman already.
20160124_132920.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well i was gonna say either a cylinder assembly bit the dust or a gasket popped but i guess you know the end result for sure now. try gaskets first but when the heads get pulled have a machine shop give them a once over also inspect those cylinder for damage if they say they have to go you can spend 700 on new gm ones or get an actual new oem gm block for about 1900-2100 delivered. if you go the gasket route there is a way to clean out the oil system with actually running it and damaging the bearing more.

OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Is there a trick to cleaning out the oil without further damage? I just picked up the gasket sets, so I can start tearing into the beast. Figured start there and see what kinda damage I find.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes the idea is best done with the intake removed. first the obvious. buy the felpro HS7733PT15 and grab the set of intake bolts and two sets of head bolts from felpro that are mentioned. do not open them yet. be very careful to only buy those specific part numbers know matter where you get them. buy some cheap oil and filter for about 3 changes. drain oil and coolant. remove the entire manifold assembly, valve covers and due a inspection for other issues. replace filter and fill with oil and use an electric drill and oil priming tool to pump the new stuff manually until entirely mixed up and flowing all the way to the top of the valvetrain and a few minutes after that, drain and refill, do i the pumping again and give the engine a couple of turns as well to help flush out the bearings. then the process all over. use more oil supplies until it comes out clean. when it does do the head removal and continue on. only open the felpro stuff if you are going to use it so it is returnable if needed. if you have to replace the block you are only out the oil stuff. if you save the engine replace any needed components with felpro or delco/delphi stuff. the delco plugs are CR43TS. autolite 25's can be used as well. we can go from there. btw with the manifold removed get a engine shop to clean it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cheesehead

Reaction score
Thank you Sun. And for all those who are wondering what the inside of the motor looks like.
20160124_191458.jpg
20160124_191507.jpg
20160124_191516.jpg
20160124_191422.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv