Odd Fuel Pump Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, you'll have some pictures tomorrow then. I realized the one I took is not helpful whatsoever because its just too close up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay here ya go. The first two are of the actual unit I'm talking about with the fuel lines in it. There is a feed from the tank connected to the top and a line coming out the bottom that goes somewhere on the intakemanifold. The third picture is of the plug I'm talking about, when unplugged it makes no difference with the starting/running behavior of the truck. And the last pic shows where that connection goes. If you need any more explanation etc. Just let me know.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360317.583020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360317.583020.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360334.423426.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360334.423426.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360353.553867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360353.553867.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360365.889142.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306360365.889142.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sorry to burn yours beans but that is the Evaporative (EVAP) Emissions System for fuel vapors which does not address the pump issue. I am afraid we are back to square one.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

So before the pump you hear the prime but after fix no. Silly question do you hear it from the back of truck when running. Trying to see if it is just really quiet now and perhaps a check valve or regulator is flipping out.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

We know the relay works and disconnecting the evap vent valve is not applicable here.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
After say a few minutes after being warm or hot it does this correct?

What happens if you start it cold then shut of right away wait say an hour or two with the engine still cold what happens? Was thinking a vapor lock issue but I thought that wasn't really an issue in fuel injection anymore.

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]So before the pump you hear the prime but after fix no. Silly question do you hear it from the back of truck when running. Trying to see if it is just really quiet now and perhaps a check valve or regulator is flipping out.

e.

Haha yeah true the EVAP wont be much help here...

I used to be able to hear a constant electrical motor whine when the truck was on, now i cant hear anything at all while the engine is running. Also if i start it cold and shut it off quick and come back a while later, no change, its still hard to fire up.

I think I'll just be dropping the tank this weekend...:emotions122:

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright, PROBLEM SOLVED! As I expected, there was a wiring issue. I finally just dropped the tank today (it was a major ***** too may i add) and one of the wires on the connector that hooks up to the pump had broken. I soldered it together and now the pump comes on and stays on until the system is pressurized. It still doesn't quite start the same however... I think i may clean the throttle body next? MAF sensor? I know the injectors are ok, and the fuel system has constant pressure, so I know that issue is all sorted out. Also it looks like A new head gasket/freeze plugs may be in my future too (antifreeze on the transmission), and the ABS light is on... haha It can never be working perfectly fine for more than a day can it?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
cleaning the maf and tb is always good. If you have not done the fuel filter yet then by all means. I believe the coolant leaks in rear were ussually the intake gasket commonly. I personally after doing a filter would run the pump for a minute or two to flush out any trapped air before starting. Can be done by shorting the power wires on the relay block.

I had one or two days after doing my k&n FIPK where things were great until it went to crap. Hopefully next week can get some money to get a pressure guage for compression and fuel. I have 2 cylinders out and detonation under load, no coss contamination of fluids(yet) and I just did my spider swap less then 300 miles ago back in February. I was so convinced that was it for engine repairs I went on doing electronics, carpets, suspension upgrades and other maintenance.

Is there any recourse for the shop that did the pump in the first place for the time you put into it?

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any recourse for the shop that did the pump in the first place for the time you put into it?

To tell you the truth, I've tried once already and it didn't work. I'm not going to bother again, we only brought it there beacuse it was the cheapest tow. It wasn't really my choice. my dad still technically owns the truck and I'm letting him because that means I get war veteran plates and Policemans registratons (I.e- no tickets for me! :gay: ) Anyways, theres a big language barrier, and like all shops, the minute you tell them check this, or say "hey, i think this is hooked up wrong" they get all pissy. So needless to say, I got nowhere with that....

And now that I think of it, that filter hasnt been done since before i got the truck, si I may try that too.

And I know exactly what you mean sunlitcomet, you think that everything should be fine for at least 6 months, at least! and the BOOM! something completely random strikes... Oh well, the nature of these beasts I guess. People call me crazy for pumping so much cash into my rig, but I'll be happy in 20 years (if it doesnts explode by then) when our trucks become valuable like the old chevy C trucks and ford F pickups. :Big Laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper