Norma clamp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZBD3P1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_Zk4DFb8G8QNVQ
I wonder if something like this would work or wrap the heat mesh you can put around headers on it. Wrap it around 1st then put the clamp on. I don't know just throwing out ideas. If all else fails there's always duct tape lol

I'd just have it welded before I did that, but hell it looks like it might work!

I got the Permatex stuff in the mail today, gonna give it a try when I have time to crawl under there. Probably next week sometime.

Bigshawn

Reaction score
I'd just have it welded before I did that, but hell it looks like it might work!

I got the Permatex stuff in the mail today, gonna give it a try when I have time to crawl under there. Probably next week sometime.
I hope the permatex stuff works out for you bud. You will have to let us know if it does cause I'm getting ready to do some exhaust work and if I have any issues then I'll know.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine as well. Mine woodshed like a turbo building boost. It isn't as bad, but still leaks. No ticking noise though. Is the ticking from the exhaust butterfly? Mine is very mild now...but I tried adjusting it 10 times without luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine as well. Mine woodshed like a turbo building boost. It isn't as bad, but still leaks. No ticking noise though. Is the ticking from the exhaust butterfly? Mine is very mild now...but I tried adjusting it 10 times without luck.

Mine never "whooshed", just a light tick at startup that goes away after about 30 seconds once the pipe gets hot. The original was corroded and I could see where it was leaking condensation, also got under it and could hear the air coming from it on cold start so I know that's what is leaking.

When I did the replacement I think my issue was I didn't push the two halves together hard enough because I don't have anyone to help - it really can't be done by one person and have it seal. You need someone else to push forward on the back half of the exhaust to REALLY mate the ball and socket ends together just right. If not, no matter how much you torque that Norma clamp bolt it will still leak (ask me how I know).

I haven't looked at the flapper...I'm considering bolting it open when I do get under there again.

I still haven't gotten under there to take it apart and try the Permatex yet. Hopefully this week.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine never "whooshed", just a light tick at startup that goes away after about 30 seconds once the pipe gets hot. The original was corroded and I could see where it was leaking condensation, also got under it and could hear the air coming from it on cold start so I know that's what is leaking.

When I did the replacement I think my issue was I didn't push the two halves together hard enough because I don't have anyone to help - it really can't be done by one person and have it seal. You need someone else to push forward on the back half of the exhaust to REALLY mate the ball and socket ends together just right. If not, no matter how much you torque that Norma clamp bolt it will still leak (ask me how I know).

I haven't looked at the flapper...I'm considering bolting it open when I do get under there again.

I still haven't gotten under there to take it apart and try the Permatex yet. Hopefully this week.
Someone tack/bubble gum welded mine open. I agree, maybe if I had someone shoving it forward I could get a better seal. I may try to squeeze under there and try using a ratchet strap to pull it forward since I don't have anyone that can help.51b5c40c322305d06d0442bb433cd970.jpg

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ratchet strap isn't a bad idea.

I was so pissed off after breaking two of the clamp bolts and still having it leak on the third attempt that I swore it off for the day. It's been a few weeks and I still don't feel like messing with it.

That's interesting about your flapper. If I had access to a welder, hell I'd just cut it out and weld in a straight pipe.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ratchet strap isn't a bad idea.

I was so pissed off after breaking two of the clamp bolts and still having it leak on the third attempt that I swore it off for the day. It's been a few weeks and I still don't feel like messing with it.

That's interesting about your flapper. If I had access to a welder, hell I'd just cut it out and weld in a straight pipe.
Same here, I'd just assume weld in a straight pipe as well. I was actually bummed, I figured I'd slide under there and open it up so it would be louder... and find it was already modified.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, I'd just assume weld in a straight pipe as well. I was actually bummed, I figured I'd slide under there and open it up so it would be louder... and find it was already modified.

I'll be interested to see just how much "louder" the truck gets when I bolt mine open. I've heard it's just at startup?

As far as "loud" I've been torn between actually wanting to hear my truck and keeping it nice and quiet and OEM for the long trips. Not sure what to do.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see just how much "louder" the truck gets when I bolt mine open. I've heard it's just at startup?

As far as "loud" I've been torn between actually wanting to hear my truck and keeping it nice and quiet and OEM for the long trips. Not sure what to do.
Corsa..... I would love one for my Tahoe. If it's anything like the Corsa systems I've had in the past they are quiet going down the road without an interior drone. They are only loud when you get on it, yet have a nice rumble while idling. Someone once told me that I needed to consider the Corsa as a musical instrument, not a muffler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick