Norma clamp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of doubt it’s a problem with the clamp. It’s either an alignment issue between the 2 pieces or just a bad fit between the two. I don’t see why some high temp RTV wouldn’t fix the problem.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would find a reputable shop and go V Band, even at work...we use antisieze a lot to seal leaks.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard to replace the manifold gasket. I can usuallyget three head pipe nuts by heating and cooling . But the hard part is drilling out the bolts broken off in the head! It can be done, if it is a pick up I will remove body bolts in the side I am working on and loosen the other side and jack up the cab. Just watch things like brake and shifter cables and stuff like that. Just replace with apr exhaust bolts and you will be good to go.

It's not the manifold gasket that's leaking, it's this stupid Norma clamp.

i would find a reputable shop and go V Band, even at work...we use antisieze a lot to seal leaks.

Antiseize? Really?

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Anti
I kind of doubt it’s a problem with the clamp. It’s either an alignment issue between the 2 pieces or just a bad fit between the two. I don’t see why some high temp RTV wouldn’t fix the problem.

I was thinking that, too. It would take at least two people to manhandle the two sides together as tightly as they need to be. The clamp does noting to draw the two sides together, so you have to somehow with one arm pull the pipes together and tighten the nut with the other hand.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes...we regularly apply antisieze to leaky flexatallic gaskets

i would have a friend or a shop aid in alignment, then tighten...possibly something has been bent or a hnger has failed allowing the pipe to rotate slightly.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes...we regularly apply antisieze to leaky flexatallic gaskets

i would have a friend or a shop aid in alignment, then tighten...possibly something has been bent or a hnger has failed allowing the pipe to rotate slightly.
There’s no gasket at this joint. It’s a ball-and-socket connection.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very well aware of the no gasket, but the thicker fluidity of a couplant (in this case IT could be an antisieze), AIDS IN FILLING THE VOID.

not saying it is the best fix, but if it is a bent pipe or damaged flange, this could be a get by fix until funds allow a correct approach

sometimes, the simple mind only can see through the provide hole

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try jacking the assembly upto desired position, ratchet strap or bar clamp pieces together and re-install clamp before I give up and buy a new one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try some form of sleeve inside the outer clamp so that it makes it fit tighter, maybe something thicker than tin foil, like some type of thin flexible metal. My theory is it would act as a form of gasket and make the fit tighter at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts